Hello everyone! Could you answer a question I have? I have a good friend who is bipolar, and has had this diagnosis for, what, 20-odd years now? Which means the whole time I have known him. My friend's wife is also my friend - we all met picking grapes in France during our younger years. Now, the bipolar has caused some tensions in my friends' marriage over the years, and during the periods where he thought he could come off the meds and cope on his own, it has come to the brink of divorce a couple times. You can probably understand that I am concerned for both my friends now that the guy thinks he can take herbs for bipolar, and not take any meds any more. However, he's convinced it will keep him out of depression but with fewer side effects than traditional meds, and at the same time allowing him to feel and experience more. He says the bipolar meds stop you from feeling much, and make you go numb. I'd like some experts' input on this. Do herbs for bipolar work, or will my friend be risking his marriage, once again?

That is a really interesting question and you will have to come back to us and report how it went, of your friend does end up trying "herbs" for bipolar. Do you know which herbs? St John's Wort perhaps? As for me, I am not yet sure where I stand on the issue, but I have seen some people quite successfully self-treat with St John's Wort over the years. At the same time, some of them also fail horrifically and come back to prozac or zoloft quite soon. It is also worth noting that even regular anti-depressant medication does not work for everyone. When it comes to bipolar, one size does not fit all. It is fair to say that herbs such as St John's Wort are simply yet another tool in the bipolar patient's toolbox. If the tool can't fix the problem, put it back in the box, I say!