My husband is suffering from OCD. He has been to many a psychiatrist but nothing much is helping. The thing he ridiculed most was that he got given an elastic band to put around his wrist and every time he had OCD thoughts he was to snap it. He tried lots of medication but he feels so sick and terrible with it that he can't really take any. 

So does anybody know anything that could help? My husband is very comfortable with and open to home remedies and nutritional supplements, more so than allopathic medicine at this stage as this did not work out for him so far. If you would share the best natural treatment options for OCD I would be very grateful. 

As far as I understand, reducing anxiety also reduces OCD compulsions. So focusing on anxiety reduction is something that could help your husband greatly, and anxiety reduction with herbal remedies is very possible in many people.

A friend of mine with anxiety has recently taken to using this herbal supplement called Redicalm. It contains ingredients used in Ayruvedic medicine, which has a very long history, and the supplements really are helping her feel less anxious. This is something you could look into.

I just watched this documentary about people with OCD in the UK the other day actually... This one guy had been suffering with OCD for over 40 years and when he spoke up about his symptoms as a teen, a long time back yeah, they locked him up in a mental institution and he had electroshock therapy, which didn't do anything for him but it did tell him not to talk about his symptoms any more... his whole life was devoted to his OCD rituals including not leaving the house etc... the one thing that helped him in therapy which could be considered a natural remedy I guess, was, well, he thought if he did not do his rituals perfectly his son would die, and he sat with that thought in therapy, really imagining the worst outcome in his mind... sounds strange perhaps but he said it helped reduce his anxiety immediately. Did not cure the OCD mind you, but it helped for a brief time. Seeing that not doing the rituals doesn't cause the feared thing could reduce compulsions over time...

I have done some reading on the subject of obsessive compulsive disorder and natural remedies and as far as I have read, the only thing that might help naturally is this vitamin like substance called Inositol. This comes from animals and plants and can be made synthetically as well. Things like St John's Wort and Milk Thistle are also sometimes advocated but there is no scientific evidence that they can help reduce compulsions in people suffering from obsessive compulsive disorder. Anything that is not possibly dangerous could be considered in case it helps though.

Hello there,

The best thing is to talk about it with the people around you, so they know what you are suffering from. It is also good to talk with your family doctor so maybe he or she can refer you to a good therapist.

A very good tip is making sure that you have a structured life. If you don't have a job, maybe it is go to go to a gym at certain times of the day, or do a volunteer job. But don't ask too much of yourself. Don't do more than you can cope with. You could also go to a support group for people with OCD.

Celebrity

Given that anxiety plays a huge role in obsessive compulsive disorder, people who have OCD may benefit from some of the natural supplements that help people with anxiety feel better. I do not know all that much about it, but I have certainly read that niacin (which is a B vitamin, vitamin B3 I think), omega 3 fatty acids, magnesium, and also things like valerian and St John's wort can help improve symptoms in people with anxiety. 

I would first specifically look for info on whether they help with obsessive compulsive disorder but it is an avenue worth exploring in my opinion. 

Rosie

Yes, St Johns Wort is a wonderful thing to look into for anyone with depressive or anxiety disorders, which includes obsessive compulsive disorder. It's one of the most studied herbal remedies out there with tons of studies to back it up. It doesn't work for everyone of course but many people feel a lot better.

One thing you do need to know about St Johns Wort is that it can interact with herbal supplements just like mainstream medications can. So if you want to try that out, talk it over with your physician and don't be taking things like niacin without your physician's OK, because it might make your symptoms worse or cancel the effects of the St Johns Wort out.

Home remedies for OCD? Obsessive compulsive disorder is a serious mental illness that even professionals have trouble treating. I would not waste my time on quack remedies that have no science to back them up and skip straight to evidence based medicine. I would think that anyone who is weary of mainstream medicine and hoping to find their magic answer in watered down herbs is so far gone that they would benefit from evidence based remedies even more. You might as well ask a shaman to exorcise your OCD.

The main treatments for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder are:

* Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
* Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP)
* Psychiatric medications, usually antidepressants first, to help control the complusions.

While the above response is rather, well, harsh and sarcastic, I would have to agree that if you do look into home remedies for OCD, that should be ALONGSIDE a treatment that has been proven to work, rather than as a stand alone, because in the latter scenario, you are unlikely to accomplish much.

I understand that it is easy to become despondent about therapy when nothing has helped so far though. Perhaps you should be putting your effort into finding a better psychiatrist, one who really specializes in OCD with a focus on experimental treatments? Maybe it can help.

Celebrity
Ouch! I'd say that 1. though alternative remedies for OCD are just really beginning to be researched, some are indeed studied in peer reviewed journals and 2. your comment is just insulting.

What I am seeing in the initial comment is that the poster's husband is under the care of a psychiatrist, which is about as mainstream as you can get, but the treatment he is receiving is not helping enough. This is very common with OCD, which is notoriously difficult to treat.

As long as you are making sure that complementary medicine you are using does not interact negatively with other medications you are taking, then why not research it? Neither the opening poster nor her husband have anything to lose. If it does not work, the worst thing that can happen is for them to lose some money, which they are clearly willing to do if they are looking into this.

I looked into this some more and it seems there are quite a few natural remedies that can help with obsessive compulsive disorder. St Johns Worth, which I already mentioned, might interact with other medications but has also shown promise. Kava kava, passion flower, gingko biloba, valerian, and American ginseng, may also help with anxiety disorders, which includes OCD.

I would also look into physical methods such as light therapy, dance movement therapy, yoga, and this therapy I recently found out about which is called metagognitive therapy.

Rosie