Hi! I had blood test. I have high ALT level. Doctor said that I have high liver functions. Sun, I will have some other exam. I want to know why ALT can be high. I forgot to say also I have high AST.

Hi! ALT, an enzyme appears in liver cells, and is a relatively specific indicator of acute liver cell damage. The purpose of this blood serum test is to help detect and evaluate treatment of acute hepatic disease, especially hepatitis, and cirrhosis without jaundice. To help distinguish between mytyocardial (heart) and liver tissue damage ALT test is used with the AST enzyme test. Slight-to-moderate elevations of ALT (usually with higher increases in AST levels) may appear in any condition that produces acute hepatocellular (liver cell) injury, such as active cirrhosis, and drug-induced or alcoholic hepatitis. All diseases are serious. You must take better care about your health. Good luck!