ON the last exam of my liver, my ALT and AST enzymes were significantly elevated. What should this disorder point to?

AST (SGOT) and ALT (SGPT) are sensitive indicators of liver damage from different types of disease. But the abnormal levels of these liver enzymes should not be automatically equated with liver disease.
The precise levels of these enzymes do not correlate well with the extent of liver damage. For example, most patients with acute viral hepatitis A recover fully without residual liver disease. But the patients with chronic hepatitis C infection typically have only a little elevation in their AST and ALT levels.
Some of the patients may have quietly developed chronic liver disease such as chronic hepatitis and cirrhosis (advanced scarring of the liver).
The interpretation of elevated AST and ALT levels depends upon the whole clinical picture and so it is best done by doctors experienced in evaluating liver disease.

Just recently discharged from the hospital, after yet another bout of pancreatitis, for the tenth time, the docs were reluctant to discharge me due to my liver enzymes being significantly elevated I am talking an elevation of 860, down the next day to 460 on discharge, the normal levels of theis is between 15 and 55! No explanation given other than possible medication induced. Has anyone heard of this..? Also would you have le me go home with elevated enzymed in the 400's when normal range is 15-55..? am I in for a long term prognosis of liver damage and or problems due to this..? I am to return on Thursday for blood work to see what tells the tale then, i will respond then, in the mean time please give me your feedback. I was told that some have seen this occur with pancreatic patients where the liver becomes bothered by the pancrease because of the swelling, i am currently taking Dilaudid and Oxycodone for refleif of pain, good thing is it is working. Josh :$

Josh, whatever came of your high enzime counts?