What liver diseases cause abnormal aminotransferase levels? I had blood test and my AST and ALT between twice the upper limits of normal. What does that mean? Have I some serious disease?

Hi! I had same problem. The cause of elevated AST and ALT levels were fatty liver. Mild to moderate elevations of the liver enzymes are commonplace. The AST and ALT levels in such cases are usually between twice the upper limits of normal. The most common cause of mild to moderate elevations of these liver enzymes is fatty liver. The most frequent cause of fatty liver is alcohol abuse. Other causes of fatty liver include diabetes mellitus and obesity. Chronic hepatitis C is also becoming an important cause of mild to moderate liver enzyme elevations.

Hallo,
If I am not mistaking AST ranges from 5 to 40 units per liter of serum, and ALT should be from 7 to 56 units per liter of serum. And you are saying that your numbers are doubled? When your numbers with AST and ALT are not normal you know that your liver is in danger. It might be injured by another disease but also muscle damage can cause the abnormalities in AST and ALT. The thing is that your doctor needs to find the right reason on what is causing you liver enzyme elevation so you can have the right treatment. Having the wrong treatment you can only worsen your current condition.
I hope that this helped a bit.

If the fatty liver is due to alcohol, if the alcohol is cut down will this lower the level on the ALT