Hi, I am a forty two years old woman. Recently I had a blood test. The results were not so great. I have elevated levels of AST and ALT enzymes. I know that these enzymes are related to the liver. I would also like to say that I like to have a couple of drinks every now and then. Since this is the liver we are talking about, I would like to know what does having high levels of AST and ALT enzymes mean?

Hi, the first thing that you need to do, in order to get the AST and ALT enzymes levels back to normal, is to stop drinking. Alcohol can produce high levels of AST and ALT. If this step does not help, and the levels of AST and ALT are still high, there could be a more serious medical condition involved. A test for viral hepatitis and an ultrasound would be appropriate. Another thing that could be responsible for elevated levels of AST and ALT is fatty liver. Also, fibrosis and cirrhosis are found to be a trigger for this type of problem that you have. I am sure that you are aware of the seriousness of these conditions. That is why it is important for you to schedule an ultrasound. This way any doubts about liver conditions that you might have will be put away.