Hi.
I have some questions pertaining to my lab results. I'm slightly hypochondriac, due to things that have happened in the past, and would like to ask for expert opinion. FYI, I'm 31 years old, male.

My lab results are:
AST = 118 (norm 0-40)
ALT = 175 (norm 0-40)
ALP = 87 (norm 25-150)
Bilirubin = 1.0 (norm 0.1 - 1.2)

Doctor's reaction to the lab results is to repeat the test in 6-12 months. I feel it's a bit lax, since in addition to benign reasons for the elevated liver enzymes, there could be very serious ones.

My main worries are: heart muscle damage, and liver cancer. I'm scared about the heart problem, because for about two months I've had some sporadic chest pains, though not associated with exercise. Before now, I had thought that the chest pains were due to stress and anxiety (work and school related). Getting back to the gym seems to have alleviated the chest pains.

The liver cancer worry is there because slightly more than 2 years ago, I had a squamous carcinoma on my nose. It was removed successfully, and the doctor gave excellent prognosis. Naturally though, I'm a little freaked by these results. Although, I was calmed when I read that the ALT is usually 5 to 10 times the high limit for people with liver carcinomas. In my case, it's not quite 5 times the high limit (175 = 4.35*40).

Also, about the time of the exam, I was still sore from going to the gym after a long hiatus. In fact, maybe a week before the exam, I had very sore muscles. My arms, shoulders, back, all ached. I've heard that it is possible that the enzymes can be high after muscle injury.

Finally, I don't drink (maybe one or two cans of beer in few months), but I did have hepatitis A when I was maybe 9 or 10 years old.

In your expert opinion(s), what are the possible reasons for my liver panel results? Should I be worried? Should I test for AFP (Alpha-fetoprotein) and DCP (des-gamma-carboxyprothrombin)? Should I get an ultra-sound exam?

Thank you very much for you help.

maybe u should get tested for hep c... i had results even higher than yours and i found out i have hep c... now im really worried about cirrhosis of the liver...it can kill...and im only 23..female

I wish u luck but please know that hep c is treatable in most cases. in mine.... im still waiting on my results.

take care.

So, what happened?

I was wondering if anything ever came of this?