I am found to have elevated liver enzymes. Can you please tell me what liver enzymes do in our bodies and what may have caused my liver enzymes to be elevated? Is it a specific disease or just a disorder? Thank you for your help

Elevated liver enzymes don’t necessarily indicate a liver disease. I am sure your doctor ordered further testing to find out the underlying cause. Enzymes are proteins that help speed up a chemical reaction in the liver. There are a couple of possible causes of elevated liver enzymes: medications like antibiotics, nsaid’s, and anti-seizure medications can elevated enzymes, too much alcohol, diabetes, viral hepatitis and mononucleosis, obesity, metabolic liver disease or tumors of the liver or bile ducts, etc. your doctor will discuss the treatment with you when the tests determine the cause.

Enzymes are special proteins that help the body break down and metabolize other substances. Liver function tests often include gamma-glutamyl transferase (GGT); alanine aminotransferase (ALT or SGPT); aspartate aminotransferase (AST or SGOT); and alkaline phosphatase (ALP). ALT and AST enzymes are producing energy; if elevated, they point to the liver disease caused by alcohol (hepatitis, cirrhosis). Increased ALP level may indicate a bone disease, or can come from placenta, during the woman's pregnancy. Finally, the elevated GGT indicates to the liver disease and the infectious mononucleosis. The comparison of these enzymes is the best marker of the origin of the disease. For example, if ALP level is high, and GGT is normal, then there must be something wrong with the bones.