I don’t feeling well for some time. So I had blood test and other exams. My doctor said to me that I have elevated liver enzyme, CPK isoenzymes and Adolase. He didn’t said to me what does it mean. Is that some kind of liver disease? Please tell me I want to know what is wrong with me. I want to know true.

Hi! This enzyme is typically found in muscle and neural tissue and is low in kidney, liver, lung, pancreas and red blood cells. Thus as there is an inhibition of release from brain as a consequence of the blood brain barrier, marked elevations of this enzyme in serum generally indicates muscular dysfunction. Two principal uses of this enzyme determination are extant. Atrophy, in the inherited disease "Progressive Muscular Dystrophy" where there is a continuing loss of muscle, the serum CPK is markedly elevated. The heterozygous individual also seems to have fragile muscle cell walls and in the carrier state, an intermediate increase in serum CPK is generally found. Diagnosis of Myocardial Necrosis, hen cardiac muscle becomes necrotic; CPK is released rapidly, that is, usually within l2 hours. The cause can be other uses. In myositis where there is inflammation of a muscle there may be an elevation of CPK.

I have the exact same thing, my CPK hangs around 1000, ast 140's ALT around 100 and Aldolase around 12 and have knowingly had these levels for 10 years now. I have had a complete hepatic work up including liver biopsy, a complete rheumatological work up with 2 EMG's and 2 biopsy's and a slew of blood work to be told I am abnormally normal. So if you haven't in the past 2 1/2 years get worked up to be on the safe side, but don't freak out. Remember we have only recently had a lot of these lab tests so we do not know the incidence of people who may have the same thing and it could be absolutely nothing or it could be a precursor to something down the road. Regardless, from personal experience, other than the painful biopsy x2 the past decade have been completely normal. I bike miles at a time, hike, have climbed mountains 18,000ft high, and swam out of a rip tide with no trouble. So GET CHECKED OUT but live your life and don't worry until you get a diagnosis worth worrying about.

To all-

I am a doc and you need to know-

Aldolase can be broken down to Aldolase A, B, C. Aldo A is high in muscle and cancers, Aldo B in liver issues and correlates directly with elevated SGPT/ALT levels of viral hepatitis (commonly Hep C), and Aldo C is high in brain issues.

So- ask for ALDOLASE ISOENZYMES A, B & C. It should at least point these nutjob docs in a direction since they seem lost! In a pateint with hepatitis C......with elevated ALTs.....there is often your answer. And of course, ALL Hep C patients should have regular liver ultrasounds and alpha fetoprotein (AFP) levels to screen for Liver Cancer AKA Hepatoma.

Hope that helps everyone!

Dr. Lori :-)

So my brother just got his blood tested at the doctor and his CPK is 18,000. The doctor said the CPK should hang around 250! I'm a bit freaked out and am wondering if it's from the drugs doctors are prescribing to "help" with his "mental disorder" that no one really knows what it is.

I really appreciate your reply I have almost identical labs to yourrs...just for 6 months. I also have thyroid disease, and sjogrens syndrome I was a high level tennis player and have had to stop due to weakness. I can play, just not at that level.. seeing a rheumatologost, gastroenterologist, neurologist and functional medicine doc. No one can connect the dots. I need to just get put and live! Thanks,