I am 35 and lately have been thinking about menopause. I was wondering if hormonal changes during menopause affect woman’s brain and its function. Is there a connection between menopause and brain function?

Even though you still don’t have the age for menopause it is good that you want to know what is ahead of you. The changes of menopause affect women’s health in many ways and some think that there could be some changes in the way the brain works. Doctors agree that the hormones changed by menopause are found in the brain and these hormones affect the memory. Menopause is the change in women around the age of 50. In this age, women lose their period and their ovaries stop making the female hormones estrogen and progesterone. The most common symptoms of menopause are irregular menstrual periods, hot flashes, and night sweats. Some women say that their memory is worse, that they have a lot of worry and feel depressed. Estrogen is a key element in the work of the brain and it is part of the brain’s signaling system. Estrogen helps direct blood to parts of the brain that are more active. If you have a lot of questions, I advise you to talk to your doctor because this is a complex issue.