Using non-hormone treatments, such as antidepressants and blood pressure medicine, for menopause-related hot flashes provides some relief. But they aren't as effective as estrogen therapy, a new study found.
Some non-hormone treatments may have adverse effects, making it best to limit their use, the researchers said. For women who have mild to minimal symptoms, it would be better to not take anything.
The researchers did a so-called meta-analysis, pooling and then analyzing the results of 43 clinical trials on non-hormone remedies. They looked at the effectiveness of each treatment for hot flashes, a common menopausal symptom. They focused on hot flashes which could be counted.
The non-hormone treatments didn't provide complete relief.
With hormone replacement therapy, there was an average reduction of two-and-a-half to three hot flashes a day, Nelson said. Whether that reduction is worth it depends on how many hot flashes a woman has in a typical day.
Many doctors suggest that women with symptoms severe enough to disturb their life can take the lowest effective dose of hormone replacement therapy for the shortest period of time possible.

hormone replacement is dangerous, period.  perimenopause and menopause are not illnesses, but natural biological processes which shouldnt be tampered with.  I know two women who both went through these changes at about the same time and were about the same age.  one used hormone replacement, ended up with breast cancer within a couple of years which spread to her lungs and ultimately lead to her death at only 59yrs old! And she never smoked.  The other used marijuana to control the hot flashes as well as other symptoms and it worked fairly well most of the time.  She is now 78yrs old and still doing well. whether she ends up with illness from smoking is yet to be seen, but I personally would rather end up with cancer in my late 70's or at 80-something than in my 50's or 60's!  Always remember, the best interest of those in the medical profession is not always the same as your best interest... for them its all about money... and worse yet, they will make money treating a natural process such as perimenopause as if it is an illness to releive a few symptoms, and when the treatment makes you sick they make more money trying to fix that, and it goes on and on- a huge vicious circle!

Hormones me replacement estrogen/progesterone caused me to have breast cancer. THEY ARE NOT WORTH YOUR LIFE.