My mother is in menopause and I would like to know what the risk is for her due to a fact that she has epilepsy? I don’t want anything bad to happen to my mother, so I would appreciate any information. Thanks

Menopause is when a woman's ovaries stop working and it usually occurs on average age of 50. However, this is not always the case, because some women have had menopause in their late thirties. Also, there is some evidence that in some women with epilepsy it can occur a decade earlier. But, most women with epilepsy experience menopause at about the same age as other women. Hormones produced by the ovaries, including estrogen and progesterone can affect seizures. Because of this, changes are expected as the levels of these hormones change around the time of menopause. Estrogen can increase seizure activity but progesterone can reduce it. When levels of both hormones decrease, the results are hardly predictable. Women with epilepsy who have gone through menopause have the same frequency and severity of seizures as younger women. However, we need to realize that this statistic hides a lot of individual differences, as every woman is different. I am sure that your mother will be ok as long as she is being supervised by her doctor.