I am having very severe symptoms just before my period. I have been experiencing headaches, abdominal pain, lower back pain, and obvious mood swings. It has been like this ever since I was a teenager. It is such a torture for me and the people who surround me each time I am about to get the period. What could be the reason for these severe symptoms. Is it hormons levels or something else? Is there anything I could use to prevent them? All replies are more than welcome!

At first it was thought that it was the hormones but nowadays it is a bit different. It is thought that fluctuations in the balance of estrogen and progesterone may be just one of the causes of pms. There are many theories today about what triggers pms symptoms. They are estrogen excesses, progesterone deficiencies, vitamin B6 deficiencies, low levels of serotonin, an excess of prolactin and altered glucose metabolism but none of the theories have been proven yet. Some recent studies suggest that calcium deficiency leads to pms symptoms. So, calcium supplements are given now for relieving the symptoms of mood swings or depression, pain, cravings, and water retention. Some other experts believe that PMS may be a simple mineral deficiency, and that PMS symptoms could be a monthly reminder to you that you aren't consuming enough calcium, and possibly not enough vitamin D. Anyway, treatments are available and they are of course individualized.