My sister is having her first baby in a few months! :-D We are all very excited about the event. I am 36 yrs. old and I would like to assist my sister in breast feeding her baby. My question is how do I start lactating and when? Thank you for your help.....Jackie

Since my cousin did this I can share with you hers experience. If you want to induce lactation you need to understand the production of breast milk. During pregnancy breasts are ordinarily prepared for lactation because of the influence of estrogen, progesterone, prolactin and other hormones that increase in a woman when she is pregnant. The body naturally responds and the ducts within the breasts are increasing.

When the pregnancy is finished the levels of progesterone and estrogen drop while prolactin increases and this will result in lactation. That means that your sister will start making breast milk!

However lactation is possible without pregnancy and simply through nipple stimulation. By doing this prolactin begins to be secreted. This also prompts a signal to the brain from the breast to release oxytocin, which is the key to start the ejection of the milk. I hope this was helpful.