Hello, guys. My daughter has been recently diagnosed with exotropia. I know that this is a form of strabismus. I would like to know how dangerous an exotropia surgery is. My daughter’s ophthalmologist recommends it. I would really appreciate if anyone could reply me. Thank you in advance for all your help.

Hello. I must admit that an exotropia surgery brings some risks. In 35% one more procedure is needed. If your kid has intermittent exotropia (from time to time), you don’t have to hurry with the surgery. Early surgery can disturb the ability of the brain to fuse in the pictures and this can cause permanent vision reduction called amblyopia. You should talk to your ophthalmologist about vision therapy. It consists of eye exercises and can bring some benefits. I think they are not covered with healthcare insurance. I hope I’ve helped a little. Good luck!