Hello, folks. My friends' kid has been diagnosed with amblyopia. His father has also this problem. I would like to know if this condition is a hereditary disease or not. I would appreciate if anyone knew to answer to this post. Your opinions are more than welcomed. Thank you in advance, folks.

Hello to you too. Amblyopia is not a hereditary disease. I guess that some predisposition can be inherited. But this doesn't mean that one must inherit the disease. The cause of amblyopia is anything that interferes with clear vision in critical period. This period is from birth to the 6th month after. The most frequent causes are: constant strabismus, anisometropia and blockage of an eye due to trauma, cataract, etc. I hope this helps. Your friends should take their kid to an ophthalmologist. Good luck!

Hi there,
This condition is known as lazy eye. Amblyopia is a disorder of the eye that is characterized by a vision deficiency in an eye that is otherwise physically normal. The good thing is that it is detected early in his son so he will be able to correct his vision. I am not really sure if this condition is hereditary and I think that this might be just a coincidence. I think that with proper treatment his son will be able to have both eyes normal but he will have to work very hard on this because the treatment is not fast. It takes time to train the eye. I hope this helped a bit.

All the best,
Danella

I was wondering the same thing. I have a " lazy eye" and now it appears my youngest daughter does as well.