Hello, there. I have a problem. My 5 year old daughter is cross-eyed. Her ophthalmologist recommends surgery, but I am still not sure. I would like to know if this operation is risky or not. What can you tell me about this? I would really appreciate all your opinions. Bye, folks!

Hello. I would say that this kind of surgery brings risks like any other procedure. There is a little possibility for eye damage. In some cases, there is a possibility of eye continuing to be out of place. Wound infections are also possible. You should talk to the surgeon thoroughly about this. Nevertheless, you can ask for a second opinion. Talk to behavioral optometrist. He will provide postoperative treatment for your daughter and this is also important phase of the treatment. Surgeons often care about cosmetic appearance. I hope this helps.

Hi there,
I think that this condition is called strabismus. How much your child’s eyes are in different position? It his condition severe? The danger part of this condition is that brain could interpret this as a normal position and the vision may be damaged for good. It is very important for your child to receive appropriate treatment. If you doctor suggested surgery you have to be sure that this is the best option. I think that your child will need recovery and that the eyes will be good after the surgery. I hope that your child will be better after the surgery. Also talk to your doctor about recovery process.

All the best,
Danella