I had hammertoe surgery on jan 9TH. i was put to sleep and the doctor surgically removed the bones or shaved down on 7 of my toes. when i woke up there was no pain but i was very drozzy. went home and 7 hrs later the pain kicked in. I took the pills they prescribed and it did not help at all. Advil is the best product to use it relieves the pain very quickly. the next morning i was in tears crying my butt off and i live alone so i had no help. i kept water and food on my nightstand. my mom came by two days later to help me out with some errands. i had a lot of swelling and i would put ice on it of course in a bag. dont get your feet wet. the dr gives you bags to put on your feet to take a shower put after this i rather wash up than step in a tub. its healing nicely. every other day i would loose up the bandages if it was to tight. right now i cant move my toes and one two is still numb i hope it gets back to normal. i am still out of work. but i feel it was worth it if you are self concience of your feet just pray you are the lucky one without any extra problems. i will keep you posted on my recovery

I had it done on my second toe in November along with a bunionectomy which went perfectly. The hammertoe I am still having severe discomfort. I hope you are doing better!!!!

Hello!

Thank you for your post. Is hammertoe surgery the same as corn removal surgery? Also, I'd like to know how your recovery is going.

Thanks so much!

Hi.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm having corn removal surgery done soon as well. My question is, did you tell your employer exactly what you were having done. It's kind of embarassing to me to disclose fully what I will be doing. How did you present it?

I READ YOUR MESSAGE, I ALSO HAVE CORNS AND I AM AFRAID TO SHOW MY FEET HOW LONG WAS THE SURGERY AND HOW LONG WAS THE RECOVERY?

Hi, I have an appt. with the dr. tomorrow for a consult for corn removal. I am wondering how painful it is and are you able to walk? How long did it take to get removed? Do they put you out? or are you awake?

I too, hate showing my feet, even around my husband :-)

I'm ready to start wearing flip flops this summer!

Let me know how the surgery is!

Good luck to everyone!

when u got home did u take the medication to be ahead of the pain and what did u have 3 on one foot and 4 on the other foot and how old where u when u got this done maybe by u walking on it to much ahead of time made it worst since u live my your self out of a 0to 10 what do u rate the pain and the pain medication they give didnt work

i have corns too and on a black girl they are worst because your skin's brown and the corns are pink ! so i rub them down with a pumice stone then apply brown eye pencil thats the same shade as my skin, it's great til it starts raining !!!!!!!

I found all of your response helpful. However, can anyone out there give an approximate cost for corn removal? What type Doctor Podiatrist or Surgeon.

Smitty a.k.a Want to be corn-free :-)

I also have corns and it is so embarrassing. I put concealer on my toes, but I just want them gone. I want to know how much it cost and how long is the recovery period to have both feet done.

I had no idea there were people out there like me with corns.

I too am thinking bout getting the surgery, i broke my ankle 5 years ago and nothing was worse than that so this surgery will be a breeze for me that it is, i hope.

i hate showing my feet in front of my beau of 5 years ya'll, he says he does not care but it's whatever

It's amazing the amount of people that have corn problems. I too, have had for a while. Does anyone know of any way to remove them without surgery. How did those of you who chose surgery come to that decision?

Hey Im schedule to have hammer toe surgery at the end of the month. And I am currently in school. Should I wait until after school is out to have this surgery? Also I was wondering how long does it take to heal, when does the pain go away, and as there any scarring? If there is any other advice you can give me I would greatly appreciate it.... Thanks :'(

Hello all, I am 36, I had hammertoe and corn removal surgery on my 4th and 5th toes of both of my feet. The surgery was done just 3 weeks ago (June 22 - Day surgery). I was given anesthesia during the operation so I was asleep. When I came to, I was shivering, feeling so cold.

Few hours after the operation I felt nothing. It was wonderful. The next day there were some swelling and some pain but bearable pain. I must say that on the scale of 1-10, one being nothing and 10 being most painful, the scale was 3. The pain was really manageable throughout.

I was able to walk around in crutches after the first 48 hours. The ice bags the hospital gave helped a lot in alleviating the swelling and the pain. The pain killer that was prescribed to me (Vicodine) made me so dizzy it made me vomit often so I stopped taking pain meds and managed the pain. I continued taking all the anti-biotics until it was time to stop.

12 days after the surgery I had to travel for business, you see I travel a lot for my business and being out of commission for so long would put my business in jeopardy. So 12 days after the bid day I was flying on my way to Denver. I wore the post-surgical shoes, bandages, and walked with crutches throughout. The people at the airport were very polite and helpful, so were my clients in Denver.

This morning, 11th of July, 18 days after the surgery my doctor said my feet were healing phenomenally. But he was still unable to take the stitches off. He set my feet free of bandages though.

One thing about bandages, they can make your feet smell. Because you're not suppose to wet those feet while they are healing any perspiration you have stays in the feet. Also those surgical tapes the doctors use to put bandages in place they can get really itchy on the skin.

To relieve the skin of my feet from itching too much, I would clean my feet with warm soapy towel, and I washed the cloth bandages that were installed there by the doctor for external protection.

On Friday, 20th of July, I am scheduled to go back to my doctor to remove the stitches. I have to fly for business again on the 25th and I am hoping I'd be able to wear better open toes shoes by then.

I am sure how much longer should I wait before being able to wear normal shoes again.

Oh by the way... does anybody knows of a platform post-operative shoes? I mean, one that have just a little bit more of a heels? or something thicker like the ones worn by diabetic?

I'm glad I found this forum, because I always thought I was alone with this problem. I perform with a soul band and a few weeks ago we did a gig on a beachfront. My band spontaneously decided, in keeping with the mood of the event, to play the entire gig barefoot. I was so embarassed because of my feet.

If anyone out there has had the corn surgery done and can give me some advice on what to expect costwise, how to find the right surgeon and healing process, and whether you believe it was worth it, I would be really very grateful.