I am 54 years old and I have had heart attack. Since then it has been year and a half, and I am taking meds but it looks like that is not enough, Doctor said that obstruction of coronary arteries is big and that triple bypass heart surgery has to be done. How dangerous is that operation?

You should know that triple bypass surgery is open heart procedure. It has its risks, just as any other operations. First of all you will be out into deep anesthesia, but if it has to be done that is better than doing nothing. And if the procedure goes well, that will greatly improve your quality of life. And don’t worry, surgeons performing that operation, do that almost every other day.

Hello there,

First of all triple bypass heart surgery is a very serious open heart surgery procedure and I am sure that your doctor has explained you something about that.

During the surgery blood vessels are taken from another area of the body and that body part is usually leg.  Then blood vessels are grafted onto the existing heart vessel before and after the blockage.

After this is done basically blood has being routed around the blocked vessel and the number of vessels that are diseased usually dictates the number of grafts that will be performed.

If three vessels are blocked, like in your case, and the need to be bypassed, the surgery is called a triple bypass because three grafts will be performed.

i am 53, and had a tripple by pass 8 months ago,everybody is different but ,all the aces and pains have been worth it,listen to your surgen when he visits you in hospital before the opp,and he will give you a % as to problems, mine was 1% and he was right.ime more confident every day and working medium duties throughout every day .dont smoke.and if you did,eat lots and lots black packet mentholiptos to give you that good hit,beter than smoke, 12 wks