Hi, guys. I have heard something about amblyopia or “lazy eye” syndrome. To be honest, I don’t understand it much. I would like to know if this is more than just an inconvenience or not. Can anyone help me with more details? I would be very grateful for all your replies.

Hello to you too. Amblyopia is definitely more than an inconvenience. You are right. This condition is indeed also known as lazy eye. There is a reduced vision that is not correctable by glasses or contact lenses. And it is also not caused by any eye disease. Brain is the one that is responsible here. Amblyopia mostly affects one eye, although reduced vision can affect both eyes. I hope this helps. Bye!

Hi, folks. Many people mix amblyopia with strabismus. Those are not the same things and shouldn’t be mixed. Sometimes unilateral strabismus can cause amblyopia. Maybe this is what makes people to make mistake. Amblyopia usually appears in critical period for vision development (from birth till 6 years of age). Everything that can interfere with getting a clear image in this period can cause amblyopia. Causes are various. You can consult a specialist if you need more details. Good luck!

Hello. The treatment of amblyopia is simple. Applying drops or glasses is usually enough. Vision therapy and patching are also a possibility. It is recommended to treat it before the age of 2 if possible. Then you get the best results. However, outcome is not so good for those who are older than 7. There are some new clinical trials as far as I know. However, I am not so much familiar with the details. Bye!