Hi, guys. My kid has been diagnosed with exotropia. I know that there is a solution in surgery, but my kid’s ophthalmologist recommended first prism lenses. Can they really help kids with exotropia? I would like to know this. If someone knows the answer, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Hi, there. It can happen that your kid has poor vision on one eye. It can happen with kids with exotropia. This is what is also known as amblyopia. In these cases, ophthalmologists recommend wearing patches and lenses. In that way, both eyes should be maximized when we talk about the vision. Only then you can think about the surgical procedure. There are some other indications for surgery. Talk to your kid’s ophthalmologist to see what he recommends. I hope this helps. Bye!

Hallo,
Extropia is a condition when your eyes are not aligned correctly. How old is your kid and how long have you noticed this condition in his eyes? I think that most doctors suggest surgery to improve eye alignment. Glasses are also used but to be honest I am not sure if there will be any difficulties with there glasses that your doctor suggested. Prism lenses are used to change the able of light and I think that this can only benefit your child and in time you might even notice changes in the eyes position as well. I hope that you found this helpful and good luck with the glasses.

All the best to you,
Karen