how can I relieve myself of the pain after hemroid surgery?

Hi there! Which of the procedure did you undergo to get rid of the hemmorhoids?

I underwent hemorrhoidectomy. I was given an antibiotics to take after the surgery to avoid any sorts of infection and also to get rid of pain. You should have asked or they should have given you painkillers to use after your procedure.

How long has it been since your surgery? Be careful not to use any aspirins, ibuprofen or naproxen after the surgery because of the risk of bleeding.

I was advised two things: to apply ice packs to the operated area but also to take warm baths. All of this is supposed to bring relief from pain. I did apply ice packs at the beginning but I stopped soon after because I did get pain relief from the drugs.

Is your anus swollen as well? Are you taking any stool softeners?

How long does it take the swelling to go down after the surgery.

I'm going to go have an external roid removed soon ( I can't remember the name of the surgery but it was long). My doctor says there will be a small open wound about the size of a birthday candle flame, because it needs to heal from the inside out. How do I take care of this? & it sounds PAINFULL... My doctor has been no help.

i haad a hemmroidectomy about 6 days ago and i am still in severe pain. the first bofwl movement you will think you are dying. i have ate a small bowl of lettuce and a few pieces of potatoed in 6 days. i live on tomato soup and broth....good luck

I had a dual hemorrhoidectomy, a dual fissurotomy and a sphincterotomy 6 days ago.

I used sennakot (laxative) for the first few days, don't stop until it is completely healed, I can't reiterate this enough. I did and finally had that ass rolling pain bowel movement that could have probably have been avoided if I would have continued to use it.

The Doctor prescribed Lortab 500mg for pain, 2 every 6 hours, they last about 5 hours. He also said to take up to 4 Advil about the 3 hour mark between pain meds to reduce swelling and help with the pain. o.O He also prescribed Valium 2 mg 3 times a day to relax the sphincter muscle.

I called for a refill of the Valium after I ran out on day 5 and he gave me a refill but for 5 mg.

Take lots of hot baths, especially after each bowel movement and keep it clean to avoid infection.

I will be glad when it is all over, but already am seeing significant inprovement. It will be well worth it all, but let me tell you, it's no walk in the park! %-)

I had my surgery 24 days ago and is still suffering after every BM. I lost 8 kg's already. I go back to clean several times after BM. It is not easy to take a salt bath when at work. This surgery was terrible. I will not wish this to my worst enemy. I had constant pain for 3 weeks. How long will it take before I can have a normal BM without the swelling and pain afterwards. I try to regulate it so that I need to go evey 2nd day.
This leaves me with a day without pain.

4days ago i had hemorrhoid operation,i m having painful sensation wile urinating,:&after discharging .i need help how can i speed the healing process .relief pain is it normal to have pain after urinating?:-(

I just had a my hemorrhoid surgery and fistula surgery 4 days ago... He removed a very large external hemorrhoid and took care of a rather infected fistula I've been dealing with for several years.

The day I came home from the hospital things were fine and I managed to get a good night sleep, but that was the end of that.

I've been in chronic and almost unbearable pain since... I was taking just Percocet for pain, but it seems I'm having an allergic reaction to it... 2 night in a row I've been spiking a fever of 103 degrees. Tonight is the first night that I haven't taken it (just Advil for pain) and things are certainly still painful, but after quite a few showers and baths today, things are starting to feel like they are getting better. Most importantly, the fever isn't there...

I still haven't had the first BM yet, but have been taking stool softener and a mild laxative, I'm not at all looking forward to that "event".

All I can say is this surgery is not at all pleasant, this is the most pain I've even been in and seems constant. I sure how the outcome of this entire process is well worth the suffering I'm going through now.

On August 29, 2008
I went in for my hermiods to removed from me that I've had for 21 years.
I can not sleep nights, bowel movement is daily and I wish I was dead when it happens, urinating is so hard, sex drive is dead, my balls hurts so much....baths help to a point....drugs have no effect.....walking is a feat....

:-S I feel like putting my fist through something..I am going on a week is all and I am still in pain. I am constantly taking pain killers for the pain...Going to the bathroom is no fun either. You know, the Dr never told me about the recovery..Not one thing. Anyway, I'm trying to keep a better attitude about things. I had to return back to work because I didn't have enough time..MAKE SURE YOU SAVE AT Least a week and half of sick or vacation time..You will need it

Well it has been about two months sence I had the god awefull hemorrhoid and fistula removed.... it was the worst pain i have ever been in and i never thought the pain would go away... actually having a bowl movement is still extremely difficult but i'm managing and like everyone here has said and i can't stress enough USE LAXATIVES AND STOOL SOFTENERS!!! i had a massive movement which i think is what led to my fistula returning and to my horror this morning i think has actually spread... and about pain management... hot both's really do work wonders and so does pain medication (to a certain extent)

any ideas friends?

and about pain management... hot both's really do work wonders and so does pain medication (to a certain extent)

It has been one week since I had my hemorrhoids removed. I was told 3 days recovery. On the 5th day I had to go ER because of uncontrolled pain, swelling and bleeding. The best advice is lots and lots of sitz baths, stool softeners and a light diet. I would never, ever recommend this surgery. I think 3 weeks recovery time would be more practical.

I stumbled upon this website after my hemroid surgery and let me tell you the responses scared the heck out of me. I didn't think there was a chance that I would ever be the same. Here's my story

I have dealt with hemroids for nearly 30 years, bleeding, swelling, itching the whole deal..tried every concoction known to man and seeked out several doctors opinions before I found one that reassured me that it wasn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. November 4th I had the surgery 3 very large hemroids were removed and 2 hours later I was lying on my couch. I'm not gooing to tell you the next couple of days weren't painful..they were. I stopped taking the pain pills the following day to lessen the chance of constipation and yes bowel movements were painful. By the 8th I was feeling pretty good, the 9th was a disaster, I had a hematoma break open and ended up back in surgery the evening of the 9th losing quite a bit of blood. I spent the next day and a half in the hospital recovering. More pain on bowel movements but I kept the faith and followed the doctors orders. I went back to work on the 17th, things went well except for the energy level from the lost blood.

It's now December 3rd a day shy of one month since the surgery and I feel great, I have cut my grass, put away all my deck furniture for the winter, back to my workout routine on a daily basis cut back my sitz baths to two a day. I had a follow up appointment with the surgeon on November 19th and she was happy with the progress and said they (roids) won't be back. On December 23rd I go back for one more follow up and I feel that it will be the last time I need to see my surgeon.

The reason for my post is simple, most of the posts had nothing but bad to say about their procedure I wanted to tell you there are good surgeons out there that will do the procedure properly and give you back your life. Take time to seek out that person, ask a lot of questions and follow their requests when it comes to post op.

I'm very sorry for those of you who are still suffering weeks and months after the surgery I know the pain you are going through is not pleasant. I wish you a speedy recovery. And for those of you contemplating this procedure, seek the best professional help you can before going through it.

Not every surgery is a failure.

hi, i had my op 2 weeks ago now, i had piles for over 12 years and after lots of blood loss had to have surgery. The doctor who carried out op was great and gave me loads of advice BUT i dont care what surgeon or medicine there is NOTHING that gets rid the pain. The art of reduceing the pain is what you eat so ive found that eating READYBREAK,WEETABIX and TOMATO SOUP with MASH and keep to that, drink loads of WATER. NO COFFEE - NO CHOCOLATE - NO EGGS.

loads of hot baths and ive found that going a toilet in the bath is easier, its messy but what heck when your in loads of pain. im hoping that by the next 7 days will be easier as the doctor told me. My dad had the same op 15 years ago and took him 7 weeks in total when the pain stopped but he was not told about diet and eat loads of fry-ups which is a NO NO..!

good luck to anyone who having the op and remember that if you dont smoke and your 80% fit you will recover quicker than the person who does. I hope this bit of advice helps someone and remember NO PAIN - NO GAIN..! take care