Hello! I am a 36 year-old male and I have developed an anal fissure. I have been given anaesthetic creams and laxatives but this did not fix the problem, so I was advised to have a surgery. I am going for lateral sphincterotomy and I am interested in the risks and aftercare considering this procedure. Thank you

You may loose a control over the winds if you know what I mean but don’t worry it is only temporary. Other possible complications don’t differ from other surgeries. They include infection or delayed healing. After the surgery you may be in a lot of pain, you may need to take some painkillers. You will also have to take extra care of your anus, like wash it in hot tubs two times a day and stuff.

I had the surgery 2 weeks ago - for the first 3 days i could nto tell the difference between wind and no.2's but it soon got better.. now i am pain free - i suffered AF for 6 years, so you can imagine how happy i am now :-)

Hi. I'm a 37 year old male and I had anal fissure surgery (lateral sphincterotomy) 2 days ago. The pain has been surprisingly low, except this morning when I had a motion. Having a hot salty bath 3 times a day has helped, so have the painkillers. Feel free to respond to this quote.

I might have to undergo surgery for my anal fissure... for those who have had it any advice?... it would be really appreciated... Also i would like to know how much you paid for it, an approximation please...

Hi I had fissure surgery on Wednesday, and I am going back to work today, Monday. If you have had a chronic fissure, then you know 'butt' pain, so the pain from the surgery is no worse. The most pain is a bm, but if you sit in a hot bath after a couple times a day it minimizes it. I don't know how long till it won't hurt any more b/c it has not even been a week yet. Have it done, no use suffering with it if this cures it!

i've been suffering with this problem for about 8 month and cant take it anly longer. been considering anal fissure surgery or sphincterotomy. does anyone know the cost of this surgery. i called the hospital several times they keep giving me an estimate of 10k-15k. if its this much it will mean i will suffer forever. being 18 i dont have this kind of money. so please tell me if this is the real cost or not.

i too have been considering surgery. It been about a year now that i got the anal fissure. been to a regular doctor contrary to what he says after extensive research I think i need surgery and it will not heal on its own

I had my surgery this past Friday and haven't so much as taken a pain pill. Colase and fiber are still keeping me loose, but I have no complaints staying near the bathroom for a while. I tried Alucort suppositories and then Nifedipine cream. Neither worked for me. It seemed the outpatient surgery was the only answer. I'm lucky to have insurance and my portion was only 100.00. The insurance paid about 700.00. Sitting in warm water is a great idea. Buy some TP with aloe or even better, baby wipes. Good Luck!

I'm 45 and have dealt with fissure for 4-5 years. Clears up for a while then always comes back with a vengence...pain at times was SEARING! Tried all therapies-warm baths, creams, nitroglycerin ointment. Saw several Dr.s and finally colorectal surgeon. Having LIS surgery Wed 12/17. My Mom had same surgery years ago and although a bit painful, she's VERY glad it was done. Cure rate over 95% with good surgeon. Doc said of 1,000+ surgeries, not one caused any permanent incontinence (ie, issue with uncontrollable BM). Pain from any surgery CANNOT be any worse than pain I've had dealing with fissure, especially after BM's. Doc giving me local anesthetic and IV drugs to keep me semi knocked out and in happy la-la land. Had same IV drugs used during colonoscopy years ago, was worried I would be too "aware" of procedure as I'm a baby with procedures and DR's, but turns out it was a piece of cake...out like a light once sedated and next thing I knew it was over. I'll report back after surgery. My advice, if it is chronic (over few months) get it surgically corrected...why suffer. Prayers to all for complete recovery.

I'm a 38 year old male... I had suffered through major (bm) pain and waited for 6 months before contacting a doctor (big mistake) anyway, had a colonoscopy done and the doctor did not see the fissure >;) instead found internal hemi's and banded them.. ouch! so imagine painful banding and a fissure on top of that.. so after suffering through samurai sword (bms) i decided to see a specialist. He knew right away it was a fissure and I had the sphincterotomy done. Best thing i ever did in my life!! I thank God there is a proceedure for this monster call fissure! It has been just about a month and I feel like a new MAN. Even my first (bm) after the surgery wasn't too bad, I was more afraid of going than anything else...I was back to semi-normal within a week and in two weeks completely normal. don't suffer anymore (creams didn't work for me) get the surgery done!

hello i'm a 31 yr.old male and I've had my fissure now for 6 months now,probably not as bad as other ppl since I'm still able to sit and have BM's (on a fiber diet and stool softeners)with no pain but it does bleed approximately once a month for unknown reasons why when i'm thinking i'm close to being healed.I've been doing sitz bath 3 times a day for and applying hydrocortisone that my doctor prescribed to me but yet my fissure won't heal,i never asked him for nitraglycerine because i've heard of the side effects of headaches and i'm proned to migraines and i don't want to deal with more headaches.my doctor has reffered me to a general surgeon and i'm thinking/planning of going for the lateral sphincterotomy since this isn't the first time i've had this and i studied up on the success rate, the low reoccurence rate and risks and figured this is the best way for me to go given that i've had 3 fissures in the past but was able to heal on it's own ti'l this latest one.any how i have a question,even though i probably have the better insurance coverage than most people i want to know how much does the LIS procedure cost?please answer my question and good luck to all who suffer from this thank you.

after your surgeries do you apply any cremes or ointments to the area?

continue with nitro treatment? ... some other creme neosporin or something?

I Just had the surgery a few hours ago and the drugs they gave me at the hospital are wearing off and this norco is not really illing the pain as much as dulling it a bit.

I am kinda scared as to what tommorow may bring but am thinking i should apply some antibiotic ointment at least but my doc didnt tell me to and i dont see him for a week.

if you have questions regarding your after your surgery you should go to this its a support group for ppl who suffer from anal fissures.I have not gotten surgery for my fissure so I don't have the answers for you but there are a few ppl in the anal fissure forums who have undergone surgery and though they may not be experts but they can help you with getting answers from their experience.It's a great site,I gathered a ton of info on how to manage my fissures and helpful tips from ppl there.

I had the surgery and I do recommend it. The pain with BM was not bad, but pain inbetween was moderate. I am 6 weeks out and while mostly the pain is better there is still moments it is difficult. I do recommend the surgery, it will heal you far faster than trying to do it on your own. It will not be the most pleasant experience, but it is worth it.