Hi all, first post, so be kind.

Roughly 3/4 a year ago, I noticed that I had a hemorrhoid. I will get to the - I noticed part - later. I went to my local clinic and they decided, given the severity (easily the size of the tip of my big thumb), to have minor surgery there. They informed me that it had man blood clots in it and they needed to be removed. Whether they were right or wrong on this, I can't be sure. At any rate, they cut out the clots (sure were a lot of them). I went home sore. Pain rating must have been a 9/10. They told me to come back the next day - if it was still acting up, they would have to remove the clots again. I went back the second day - it was still acting up - they removed them again. This time, after the pain killer they injected with me wore off, it was easily a 10/10 on the pain level - I literally doubled over in pain.

The next day, I went back again. It was still there and acting up again (acting up = inflamed, clotted, and just bad). They recommended I go to a surgeon. I went to the surgeon, he refused to operate or do a thing while it was so inflamed from what they had done.

I am in college, and a few weeks later were finals. It eventually did settle down. However, every time I have a 'movement' it definitely inflates and is painful - it has been like this since that wonderful day. Also, if I walk, jog, lift weights (light ones, 20 lbs or under), participate in any sports, etc. it inflates and is painful (I'd say a 5/10). Note - walk, a leisurely walk at that - it still inflames, internally.

I have seen a surgeon (different one) who has said they are minor hemorrhoids (one internal and one external) and have no need for surgery. After I went on a 2.25 mile walk and it inflamed internally (actually became external it inflamed so much), I went to see him again. This was a week after the event. He once again, said that topical treatment, fiber, dietary means and the is the way to go.

I have changed my diet ever since this took place. I have increased my fiber intake dramatically. I have used topical ointments that were prescribed. It has now been 8 months and I still suffer pain every time I have a movement or when I do anything physical (no sign of it getting any better). The surgeon was unable to tell me when I could go back to my normal activities.

I'm posting here in hopes that someone knows if I should get a second opinion or not on this. Yes, they do deflate roughly 15 - 30 minutes after they inflate. However, in that timeframe, it is very uncomfortable. During movements, I am not straining nor staying on the toilet any longer than needed - which is not long.

Thanks ahead of time.

- Sclark

Ah, yes, I forgot to mention the noticed part. It is my speculation that I had hemorrhoids before the first time I actually noticed them. I believe the first time I noticed them, something caused them to become irritated. Before that, I am quite sure they were there, but just did not cause pain. The first time it caused pain, when I went to the clinic, there was blood along with my stool. Even that time, I did not strain much (if at all).

Hmm ... Your story sounds really bad, and I feel your anger. I would take appointment with second or third doctor. Take opinions from more experts, not only from one.

It sounds that this surgeon made a mistake. However, there are a lot of law suits out there against surgeons who made radical mistakes. Anyway you are the person who has a problem and obviously you'll have the implications from this surgery your entire life. I suggest you also to talk to your lawyer about this!

Hey, I feel your pain...literally. Except, when mine inflame, they stay inflamed and painful for days and days!!!

I agree with the other poster...I think that the clinic (I totally mistrust college clinics and avoid at all costs! Never let these folks do any CUTTING! I do anything to avoid mine, even making appointments when I go home and paying for services myself) probably didn't really know what they were doing.

I would see a third or fourth doctor/surgeon and see if there is someone else who might help. I wouldn't wait for a flare up to do it, I'd go when you were not in pain for "base reading" and then return when you are having a reoccurrence.

I certainly wouldn't give up...

As well, continue to use any over the counter products that work for relief for the time being.

Good luck

Hello! I’ve been constipated for quite some time now. I never figured a reason because I eat a lot of veggies. Maybe it’s because I don’t drink that much water, I don’t know.

I knew that hemorrhoids were just the matter of time because I did a lot of straining but I didn’t know they were so annoying and painful. I can feel them, and I know I should go and see a surgeon but I wanted to ask first what you thought the best treatment would be.

These doctors rarely explain things; they just do it or send you to a private clinic to get some money out of you.

Any info is more than welcome! Thank you

I had the surgery and am happy I did. I have not fully recovered yet, but the pain is down to a 1 or 2. My Surgeon says it takes two months to fully recover. XD

i have some, i haven't seen a doctor yet, but they don't go away unless i get a good nights sleep. if i have a bm, they stay inflamed until i wake up the next day.

i went to the doctor and had them removed

I've been reading through everyone's comments about problems with hemmorrhoids. I had a big internal hemorrhoid hanging out of my rectum and some external ones as well. They weren't really painful, but sometimes if I had alot of diarrhea, they would get inflamed and hurt a bit. They bled a couple of times in June of this year, so I decided to have them looked at by a doctor. Because my stool would come out "thin" like a pencil every time I had a bm, they decided to do a colonoscopy. I didn't have anything bad like cancer but I did have hemorrhoids. They recommended surgery since they said hemorrhoids get worse with age and over time.
I didn't want to face a painful surgery when I'm old (I'm 42 now), so I went ahead with the surgery. If I had known exactly what "painful" meant, I would have NEVER had the surgery. I had the surgery yesterday and am in so much pain I look FORWARD to each Vicodin tablet every 4 hours. I've had 3 bm's so far and they were liquidy because I took Milk of Magnesia. Wow! I can't believe how much my bottom hurts - it throbs with every beat of my heart. I just want to sleep all day and night so I won't be aware of the pain.
I got on the internet to search for what I could eat after a hemorrhoidectomy. So far Ive only had 2 cans of Campbell's chicken noodle soup. I don't want to eat anything so that I won't have to have a bm until after I am all healed up. I want to only drink chicken broth and fruit juice. What do you recommend...anyone?

Signed,
Painful in San Antonio

I will be having a surgery next month, which is next year 2007. i'm very scare and stress because by reading these comment, makes me even scarier. i know surgery will cause the pain to go away, but just the fact that after the surgery, i dont want to do any bowel movement since its so much in pain. i want to know how much painful it is... i have internal and external hemorroids. i dont know exactly what kind of surgery i will be having but i know they will be remove, but there will still be a few baby ones; thats what i was told by my surgeunt. please respond what the pain is???

I had surgery several years ago to remove internal hemorrhoids and I am glad I did. Recovery was fine and tolerable. I did not have my external hemorroids removed because the surgeon said recovery is very painful in the rectum area and there is no guarantee the "skin flaps" won't come back. He said to include fiber, water, and other supplements to my diet to prevent the external hemorroids from flaring up. He said many people regret the surgery later because of the pain they had to endure during recovery.

I had the surgery on 22feb07 and it is the worst pain you can possibly imagine. I have had about ten major surgeries in my 26 years of life, and you cannot imagine the pain that comes with hemroid removal! I can only say that there are no words and no possible number scale that will prepare you for this pain. If I knew this before surgery, I would have KEPT my hemroids gladly! I would rather give birth to quads with no pain medication then go thru this again. My 'roids were bad too. I had several internal that were large and bleeding, and several external from giving birth. Every day I wake during this recovery time, I try to figure out how little food I can get thru the day on b'cause i don't want to give mt body anything to put out on a BM and i'm still going three to four times a day.
Question to others who had the procedure, how many days until it stopped hurting. i'm going one one week and i can't sit on my bum yet! o.O

I have had them for years I had a colenoscpy to make sure nothing was wrong bebcause of all the bleeding. My GI doc said don't bother with hemorrhoid surgury because it doesn't work and they will come back again. He also said the pain is really bad too. I think ill live with mine. I did notice that some use banding to cut off the blood supply to it I figure this doesn't work all the time.

First time, I don't even know what is hemorrhoid, but when I got something hanging outside my rectum, I start my research! It was painful, even when I got off my seat. Now I realize It's my fault. I seldom eat vegetables everyday and I don't drink water that much. I haven't go to doctor yet because I wanna know whether It could heal by itself. My nightmare is that it may take more than 1 month to heal. Please give me some advice. THX.

i haev had the hemmeroidectomy only 7 days ago... and le tme tell you! im really ticked off lol.... i found out i had cervical cancer so teh radical hyst was recommended and i thought well ill be in pain anyway might as well kill two birds with one stone...if i had known that the freakin hems would have returned on the 4th day i wouldnt have gone through this while recovering from the hysterectomy. im really just writing to see if anyone has ever heard of the hemmeroids returning not even a week out of it? the pain is horrendous but i am very much a wuss when it comes to pain and its gone from a 9/10 on the pain scale to a 7/10 it still hurts but im recovering... its still not my fav time of the day though...the BM time but anyhoo just wondering if anyone else has heard of them coming back that quickly and they seem bigger and worse... could be the surgery but just making sure...

" So far Ive only had 2 cans of Campbell's chicken noodle soup. I don't want to eat anything so that I won't have to have a bm until after I am all healed up. I want to only drink chicken broth and fruit juice. What do you recommend...anyone?"

From my experience: Liquidy poos sting more than very squishy poos. The goal is to keep poos soft like the texture of raw, ground beef. Not eating will make your intestines slow down and make you constipated!!

Recomendation: ##1 canned peas, canned beans, mangos (the more fibrous the better), celery, grapefriut/citrus, WATER, WATER, WATER.

Oh, and a heating pad to help the sphincter muscle relax as well as a sitz bath to soak in and clean off. My mantra was "thank god for sitz baths an advil."