Couldn't find what you looking for?

TRY OUR SEARCH!


Hi. I know that this question is not the most appropriate for this forum but I’m trying to find out how hazardous is diethyl ether?? Is there anybody here who could answer me?? Thanks a lot…

Loading...


From what I’ve read about it , it seems very hazardous – extremely flammable, toxic…
Reply

Loading...

Actually it was commonly used as a substitute for alchohol during prohibition when consumed orally it produces euphoric intoxication. when inhaled in acts as a disasociative and produces a strong psycoactive experience. Though it is highly flameable and is a solvent. im not sure if you meant hazardous chemically or for ingestion but hopefully i answered both
Reply

Loading...

When I read the topic first thing that came in my mind was movie Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. In that movie they used a big amount of diethyl ether. And I know that this is a movie, but they had some weird psychedelic experiences.
I know that it is highly flammable. It even doesn't need a spark, just a heath. So if you don't know how to handle it or you don't have any experience it would be the best advice for you not to play with it.
Reply

Loading...

User avatar
Health Ace
6884 posts
If you Google it you can read the MSDS.
It's highly flammable and makes a good starting fluid. We used to use it for cleaning spark plugs when I was racing. It never bothered my fingers much but it was cold due to the rapid evaporization. Gasoline never bothered my skin either until after the EPA reformulated it. Now it burns like h*ll if I don't dry it off quickly.

When I went to drunk driving class many, many, years ago, (I've been a good boy ever since. I like to say I saw the light ----- it was blue and flashing) they said it was like alcohol but without the water. Or the other way around, that was a long time ago. I don't know why they made that comparison, I don't really see that in the molecular structure.
Reply

Loading...

Yes Di Ethyl Ether evaporates very fast.The main haz is Fire Haz as it has a very low flash point.PLEASE LOOK AT THE MSDS FOR YOUR OTHER ANSWER
Reply

Loading...