Hi, I hope that you can help me out here a bit. I need to know more about autism. My brother’s kid is showing some signs that are pointing to that condition and we are all concerned for him. How common is autism anyway? Can it be treated? What is the fate of that child?

I think that according to some statistics in US, there is one case in thousand people. And honestly, I think percentage is just too much, especially when we know that there is no definite cure for it. He will live to his adulthood, but the quality if that life will highly depend on his parents and family and their willing to help him integrate into society.

Hi there,

I've got a 25-yr-old older sister with severe autism and associated learning difficulties. She cannot talk, read or write and also sufferes from severe autism. This type of autisim is extremely extremely rare so there is a fair chance your nephew or niece won't be this bad. She lives a normal life, goes to the gym, goes to art classes and just generally enjoys herself really. She's still got all the same thingsas us but we just have to treat her in a slighty different way, approach her calmly but sometimes firmly. You will soon realise what they like and what they don't and try not to worry, it's early days and you don't yet know how serious it could be, and even if it is, you just have to love them as they are. My sister is one of bet people I know and I feel honoured to call her my sister, just keep your chin up, keep smiling and encourage them best you can. x