Legend
Last scientific study showed that the headbanging significantly increases the risk of head and neck injury. Scientists concluded that headbanging leaves participants with similar effects to whiplash. Doctors believe that in 2005, Evanescence guitarist Terry Balsamo suffered a stroke from headbanging too hard.

Is headbanging dangerous? Stand too near to a wall and definately yes! XD

On a more serious note, I can definately see that doing it for a prolonged period of time would definately stress the neck muscles. I'm no expert on whats actually going on inside your head though, I suppose your brains being shaken around.

^+1 to that head banging will cause stress to your neck muscles not good on a long term, you will know it as you age when you feel the back pain and neck issues.

probably yes especially if you're doing it for a longer period of time. i wonder if it can cause traumatic brain injury. does anyone here have any idea?

It’s bad enough that loud music can potentially harm your hearing. But now it turns out that head-banging, a violent and rapid form of dancing, can put you at risk for brain injury, whiplash, and even stroke.

There have been isolated reports of head-banging injuries in the past: When guitarist Terry Balsamo of Evanescence had a stroke, his doctors attributed it to his on-stage thrashing. But until now, scientists really haven’t studied the effects of head-banging since it first started back in 1968 with Led Zeppelin.

Head-banging is pretty much guaranteed to give you brain damage if you’re not careful.

i would say yes.
i've always thought wanting to be a headbanger was far more dangerous than headbanging itself but findings proving that head-banging can cause long term damage.

As for the theory that head banging too much might make you unconscious, the researchers state that this probably can't happen, unless a person is banging their head against a stage or with another person’s head.

Headbanging is Hazardous to your Health.. 8-|
It was found that the average head banging song has a tempo of 146 beats per minute. By head banging at more than a 75 degree angle, headaches and dizziness may soon follow.

There will be surely some health problem in the neck and also the head after prolonged head banging. I have also done it a couple of times, so i know how my head feels like a boomerang traveling at a high speed. :-D

As a professional headbanger I can tell you that if you don't know what you're doing you can definitely hurt yourself. Leave it to the pros kids.