Hello, folks. My close friend has been diagnosed colorectal cancer. His doctor suggests abdominoperineal resection surgery. I would like to know how long it took you to recover after this procedure. Can anyone tell me this? I would really appreciate all your replies. Thank you in advance for all. Bye, folks!

Hello. It all depends on a stage of your friend’s colorectal cancer. This procedure is very difficult for a patient. Here, anus, rectum and a part of sigmoid colon are being removed. The rest of sigmoid colon is joining with abdominal wall and colostomy is made. It means that intestines are finishing on a patient’s abdomen. I cannot say how long one needs for recover. Some people can recover for a week, others may need more. I hope your friend will recover fast. Please, let me know the outcome. Good luck!