Hello, I have been diognosed with diverticulitis I am 35 and I am facing surgery in 3 weeks after my infection clears up. Has anyone had the surgery? If so, what can I expect? I do not deal well with pain and am very scared and curious. Also does anyone know if regular soda or diet soda effect this condition?

Hi MommyOfThree,

Did you ever have your surgery? How long was the recovery for the surgery? I was diagnosed with diverticulitis about 3 years ago in Florida, I moved to California and had another attack. NOT anything as bad as the first attack !!! They mentioned wanting to do surgery on me also. I noticed that you are 35 years old...SO AM I !!! It is scary for me, because I have a 8 yr old son at home, and I am not sure when my husband is going to be deployed again .... joys of Navy life. Any information you might have would be appreciated !!! Thanks !!!

Hi I am 35 yrs.old and I had surgery a little over 2 years ago for my diverticulitis.I will say it was a miserable time in my life,and I do not want to go through the pain of being cut ,and stiched like that again.I will quote though, that I heavily reccomend this surgery if needed.My life is all new to me now.I have energy and pain free days that I never had before.In the long run it was all worth it.I am a heavy set woman so this made things a bit more difficult.I was back to work inless than 2 mo.I still have to watch my diet,and I have an occasional flairup from time to time,but life is nothing like it was prior to the surgery.Oh ya and yes you should be able to enjoy soft drinks.I am a pepsi aholic.

Thanks so much for your posts! My husband just turned 35 this weekend and after taking himself to the emergency room he was told this morning he needed to have surgery. I have been worrying all morning! We have 3 small kids and I didn't know what to expect or what I was going to have to tell them. I feel way more confident now and can't wait to tell him what I've learned. Thank you!

I am 41 yoa and had surgery on 12/02/2009 for diverticulitis. I remained in the hospital for 6 days and had a great deal of pain. Since my release from the hospital i have made a quick recovery. The pain gradually subsides and I was walking around doing Christmas shopping within 2 weeks of the surgery. I am back at work( State Trooper) and doing well.

My boyfriend (31) was diagnosed with Diverticulitis last year (july of 2009). He did have surgery (His first surgey)to remove the infected part of his large intestine and was told that there could be a possibility that he would have to have a colostomy.{A colostomy is a surgical procedure that involves connecting a part of the colon onto the anterior abdominal wall, leaving the patient with an opening on the abdomen called a stoma. In a colostomy, the stoma is formed from the end of the large intestine, which is drawn out through the incision and sutured to the skin. After a colostomy, feces leave the patient's body through the abdomen. A colostomy may be permanent or temporary, depending on the reasons for its use}
Well, 5hours after his surgery(which should of taken 2-3hours) he went to the recovery room and was told he did in fact have a colostomy. He was upset and in alot of pain but was fortunate to have a morphin pump. It was a rough week or so but after positive reassurance and prayers he recovered quickly. The first 2weeks of being home the hospital provided a nurse that specializes in diverticulites.
I learned to change, clean, and re-apply the colostomy bag and he too was able to do this on his own after about 4 months. He had the colostomy for 6mths and just last Monday the 4th he went back to have the colostomy removed and his intestines reconnnect to his colon.
Although he is in more pain with this surgery because of his scar tissue plus they had to cut him a little more, Im happy to say he got reconnected and is recovering.. unfortunatley 2days ago he got an infection and has to stay an extra week.
Good Luck and Stay Positive!

P.S. Research this surgery a little more, it will help you be prepared of what to expect.

I am a 53 year old male who had surgery for diverticulitis on 2/2/10. I had been having stomach pains off and on for over a year but attributed them to some sort of stomach bug. When I had a colonoscopy (not because of the attacks but just because I was in my early 50s and it was time) the doctor could not get his scope past the sigmoid portion of my colon. He told me my attacks were diverticulitis and if I had any more to let him know. I had another attack in Oct. of '09 which he treated with antibiotics and the another in early Jan. It was then that we decided to have the surgery (after the infection subsided).
The surgeon removed 12" of my colon. He said it had sagged down on itself, twisted 180 degrees twice, and then folded over. He said I was a lucky man. I was in the hospital for 3 nights (no bag needed because my colon was not infected at the time of surgery). I was on a morphine pump the first 24 hours but after that only an occassional Vicatin.
It has been 2 1/2 weeks now and I am doing really well!! I went back to work for a couple hours each day for the past 5 days; I am eating and drinking whatever I want; and my doctor tells me I can resume any normal lifting and activities (such as golf) in another 2 1/2 weeks. The last of my staples were removed 3 days ago so my tummy is still tender but I really feel good!
I highly recommend this surgery for those of you who are suffering.

Was your surgery done arthroscopically, or did they have to make an incision ? Thanks.

I am a 56 year old male and I had colon resection surgery in July of 2009. I had complicated diverticulitis which caused me extreme pain. This is my story. On the morning of May 30th, I started having some intestinal cramping (I get these from time to time so I didn’t think much of it), but as the morning progressed so did the pain. It finally got so severe that I realized that it was time to go to the emergency room. I thought it might be my appendix because my daughter had to have her’s removed a few years back. The hospital did a CT scan and said the appendix was fine. What I had was complicated Diverticulitis. One of the diverticula in my colon had perforated spilling gas into my intestinal cavity and inflaming just about everything there. They said they would put me on some strong antibiotics to see if that would fix me, otherwise surgery was the only other option. I told the doctor, “I guess that means I need to take it easy for a while”? He said, “you are not going any where buddy, we are checking you into the hospital”. After a week of IV antibiotics and pain medicine, they sent me home with a plan to ad more fiber to my diet and hope that everything would heal.

AT my 2 week follow up appointment, the doctor said I seemed to be doing fine. Then a week later I started having different pains in the same area. Sharp pains right before a bowel movement. It felt like I was being stabbed with a knife. I called the doctor and they set up an appointment to do another CT Scan in about a week, but the pain got worse and I went back to the emergency room. They ran a CT Scan and said that the problem was now worse than the first time. Surgery was now a certainty, but they had 2 options. They would first put me back on antibiotics and see if they could get the inflammation down to allow for a single colon resection. If the infection was too great, they would have to do a colostomy and let me heal for 6 months and then go back in and reconnect everything. Needless to say I was praying for the first option.

The pain I was having made it impossible to eat. Then they had me drink this colon clean out medicine, that is sarcastically called GoLytely. After that I was pretty wiped out and ready to be put to sleep.

On July 9th, the operation went well. They sliced me open and checked out everything. They pulled out part of my colon and discovered a pus pocket about the size of an orange attached to the backside of it. The surgeon was able to separate it from the colon and the bladder without it rupturing, but he went ahead removed the appendix as it was completely attached to the pocket. He then announced that a colostomy was not necessary. The surgical team cheered, my wife was happy, my family was happy. When I woke up after the operation. My wife was there, up close, telling me the good news, she was relieved. I, on the other hand, was feeling as if someone where holding a hot skillet to my stomach. I was hyperventilating and asking if there was anything that they could give me for pain. They said they couldn’t give me anything more, I would have to wait a while. I have never felt pain like that before, it hurt too much to cry. Two weeks later the pain had lessened quite a bit, but it still remained. I have a nice 8”scar that runs down the length of my belly with a little dog leg around my belly button. After that I went back to see the doctor to get the staples out (37 staples in all, it looked like I had a spiral notebook embedded in my stomach). Then they put about 20 strips of tape to hold my stomach closed. Looked like an abstract railroad. They lasted about a week and half.

A month after surgery I was still limited on what I can do, but I was able to start back to work after about 4 weeks. I had to start out walking slow. A week after surgery it was all I could do to make it the mail box and back (After a month I was up to about 2 miles a day), and after 6 weeks I start working out again. No heavy lifting for a while. No running for a while. I had to work up to it. No sit ups for at least 3 months. Since I could not eat throughout the pain of this ordeal, my body used up all of my fat and then started draining my muscles. I lost 30 pounds and was down to 158 (I was, half the man I used to be)! I had not been this light since high school. I got my appetite back and have gained it all back. Here I am a year later, I am now running about 3 miles twice a week and I have gotten my strength back. No more stomach pain. I used to get diarrhea about once a week and now I have only had it twice since my surgery. Both times were my fault for eating the wrong foods.

So what have a learned from all of this? God is good. Not for putting me through all of this, but I have never felt abandoned. I know there is a purpose for it all and I know that I may never fully understand it.Thankfully, this all happened during the slow time for my business. I am grateful that this did not hit in October when I get real busy. I am still a fairly young man, so I should recovery came more quickly than if I had been in my 60s. I have many good friends who have come to my aid and have encouraged us through it all. Once again I am reminded that real success in life does not have to do with money. Real success comes in relationships. Good friends, a loving family, and a Merciful God. My relationships with each of these is what enables me to stand.

If you have to have this surgery, I encourage you to get active as soon as you can after the surgery. Walk a lot, but don't over do it. Take it slow, but be persistent. Be determined to make small gains everyday. This will help quicken your recovery.

I have also learned that our bodies become less flexible and less resilient as we get older. If you are taking too long to pass a bowel, you probably need to add more fiber to your diet. Do not strain, it may cause a blowout and then you have to go the route that I have described above. I don't recommend it!

Stillfullofit & others...Thanks for the thorough write-up.

My wife, 41 yrs young, just had her third flare-up/incidence of diverticulitis...has been about 4 years since her last brief hospitalization with this condition, and this time she was just in the hospital one day with IV antibiotics; luckily no perforations ever with her flare-ups. She will have the usual colonoscopy in about 6 weeks I believe...we will be making a decision as regards surgery after receiving that report. Just wish to express my thanks to all who have shared their experiences and advice. I will get back to the forum if we decide to go the surgery route so as to contribute her experiences to this discussion.

Best2Uall

Hi, I am now 6 weeks post op after having 22 inches of my large bowel removed because of a diverticular stricture and adhesions. I have only just been discharged from hospital because of post-operative wound infection and am still wearing a vac pump dressing which I expect to be wearing for at least a month.

It cannot be denied that there is quite a bit of pain initially after the op and you do feel rough. However, even though I still have an open wound in my abdomen, I can honestly say that I don't regret having it done.

I am no longer living with the constant cramps and bleeding and I can at last open my bowels without pain. It has been a total success as far as I am concerned and would recommend it to anyone who is suffering as I was before the op.

I have to make sure that I have a high fibre diet to prevent constipation - but that is no hardship.

You can increase your fiber intake by eating these foods: whole grain breads and cereals; fruit like apples and peaches; vegetables like broccoli, cabbage, spinach, carrots, asparagus, and squash; and starchy vegetables like kidney beans and lima beans.

I am a 60 year old female who had the resection surgery 12 days ago. I was on pain meds for only 24 hours. I had bad reactions to them.
I literally had almost no pain and came home after 4 nights in the hospital. They said if I could walk 10x a day around the hospital floor I was good to go, so I worked up to that. I had laproscopic, but they had to cut me in the abdomen about 5". That cut and the staples were what caused the most discomfort. Since the first 24 hours I have only taken extra strengh tylenol.
I had had 4 attacks in 3 years and they literally knocked me on my back with a week of Cipro. I never knew when I would get an attack and just didn't want to have to worry about that anymore. I highly recommend the surgery. It is not at all as bad as it appears to be!

I am a 48 year old female with history of GERD and really bad abdominal pain and I was recently told during one of my episodes to the ER I was given antibiotics and pain medicine due to the severe infection within my intestines and after getting the results of the CT and ultrasounds etc I was informed by my Dr. the option I had was to perform surgery and well I have an appointment with the surgeon on the 2nd of March and I must say I am scared worried and very nervous I have never been cut open and I don't know if I can handle it I am a diabetic and also have high blood pressure and I want to be able to learn all I can about the procedure (Diverticulitis) as well as the possibility of the colostomy I would like to know where I can obtain all the info I need what questions I need to ask etc.
Please if you can help!! Austin Texas

I folks, I found this board about a month ago when my husband ended up in the ER thinking he was constapated, they did a cat scan and said diverticulitis, and surgery was a must, they kept him in the hospital for 6 days on the IV and antibiotics, he was home for 3 weeks, did all the follow up appointments, found out he was diabetic and because of the palups and intestinal seapage they wanted him on low fiber. ok we got his sugar levels down and for the best we could stable, followed the low fiber diet, he was doing really well, then he went for a colonoscopy on Friday 2-18-11, the surgen could only get about 1/4 of the way up, he was still too inflamed, he could see the palups, and said he had to back out for fear of going threw the colon wall, Surgery had already been scheduled for this past Monday, 2-21-11, the operation we were told would only take about 2 hours, well do to the mess inside my husband, he was in for 4 hours, their were palups the size of oranges attached to other areas inside him, the surgen said he had to 'peal back the palups' and remove 18 inches of intestin.

The good news, NO BAG and NO CANCER ! YAY !

The bad news, they had to do a full incision instead of the planed 4 inch. One poster said it looked like a spiral notebook, I'd have to say yes it does, the pain my husband was /is in is horrible, they had him on morphen, that didn't touch the pain, they switched him to daladen(?) and that seems to have helped, at least it knocks him out for about 15 minutes each time he pushes the button. However when he comes to, he's confused and easily scared. He will be 54 next month.

My husband has not seen a Dr in forever, doesn't have much faith in them, so we don't know how long this has been an issue, other then it became a known issue since he began complaining at Christmas time, with alot of arm twisting, it still took me 3 weeks to get him to agree to go to the ER.

Today is day 2 post op, they got him up to walk, it was hard, he hurt so badly, but he walked, not far but far enough the nurse said, and that each time will be further. Its difficult to see him this way, but I would highly suggest if your have this condition, or think you do, get it checked, if you need surgery, get it done. We are very hopeful from reading these posts that he will be back to himself in no time.
God Bless.