I had my gall bladder removed 2 1/2 years ago. About 6 months ago, I developed a terrible pain in my upper right side, behind my rib cage, which radiates around to my back. Digestive problems are also an issue - I am always full and cannot eat without getting heartburn. A CAT scan showed that I have scar tissue that has attached to my intestine since the gall bladder surgery. The doctor says that this is the cause of the digestive problems. He says that removal of this tissue may result in more scar tissue and I would have the same problem. I am 29 years old and need to know what can be done to help. The constant pain prevents me from doing alot of things that I did before. Please help!!! I would like to be able to go about the day without pain AND be able to eat without feeling full or sick all of the time. I am interested to know what you have to say.

My wife also has pain since her gall bladder removal. She also bloats like she is 9 months pregnant after she eats. This did not happen prior to the surgery. After her surgery she was in constant pain and said it felt like they never removed the gall bladder. We recently found out that a friends sister went through the same thing and they found the scar tissue adhered to her colon which made it difficult for her to digest food. She was also in constant pain. they went in and removed the tissue and she lived a normal life for about 10yrs until in came back. They are giving her the option to remove it again or just leave it. I read that they now have a nanofiber biodegradeble barrier that they can place around the area that will prevent the scar tissue from growing back. Why is this all of a sudden a problem with people.

I actually have this same problem. I will be 24 next week. I had my gallbladder removed shortly after my son was born in 04. Since the surgery I have had pain in my stomach and latley it has been getting worse. It is right above the belly button and I can feel it at times when I lay down. It moves though. I can push it around and it relieves some pressure. The pain follows around to my back and also makes it difficult for me to do the things I used to. Even the simple house chores can be too much sometimes. I have been meaning to have it checked out but I haven't yet. I think I haven't since the pain seems to come and go. At first I rarely felt it...only on holidays when I ate more than normal. But now I feel the pain all most all day everyday. If it is scar tissue would it move around??? Or could it be something else?

I am trying to find some answers. I had gall bladder surgery 3 years ago this past april. After surgery I experienced pain, just like before surgery for monthes. I eventually had 2-3 ultrasounds and one ct scan, even a colonoscopy. All that was found was a common cyst on my liver. Now, I have started hurting again in my upper right quadrant, just like before surgery. Went to the doctor today and had a urinaylisis. Found a slight infection so he thinks this is what is causing my pain. I am not so sure. I would like to have more tests. Maybe another ct scan to make sure everything is okay and to see if maybe I have scar tissue or if the liver cyst has grown. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

I have had abdominal pains for years and have even had several surgeries to remove an ovary and cysts. Due to my surgeries, I have an abnormal amount of scar tissue. (Doctors can’t find my remaining ovary) After my last surgery to remove three cysts about three months ago, this make surgery number 5, I realized after this one I continued to have abdominal pains. I later found out that I also have gallstones. My doctor is skeptical about doing another surgery because he feels that another surgery will cause more scar tissue (oh yeah, I also have an adhesion to my bowels). I am only 30 years old and constantly have abdominal pains, nausea, or vomiting. Anyone have any answers?

this sounds like the kind of pain i have also been having for over a year now. and it is getting worse. i have asked a few dr.s and they keep telling me im fine. it hurts to sit for too long and hard to get to sleep because of the pain.

I have had a few surgeries and my last one where they did remove alot of scar tissue and took down alot of adhesions helped for 10 years but here I am now with horrific bowel motility, pain, nausea, bloating and things just not moving when I drink or even eat small bites. Taking bowel preps and once a month now to kick start my colon so not good and at my wits end! I don't wish this on anyone but my heart goes out to all of you! You are not alone and nope! not in your mind either! My GI tract is a nightmare! They call it a "Functional Disability".....UGGGGGGGGGG! Going to see two surgeons next week because my red flags are up now and it is time to do something and if that means taking down the adhesions/scar tissue if only for temp relief it is better than nothing right now-AMEN! 8-|

HUge hugs & Many blessings,
Kimberly :-)

I had a server case of Panceatitis after having a colon resection; I was hospitalized over 5 times and ended up in ICU for a week. Long story short, I had a T-Tube installed in my liver after they removed my health gallbladder (no stones). I lived off an IV for over a month till my bile duct opened enough to get a stint in. I have had pain at the sight of the T-tube for over 2 years. I have had multiple colonoscopies CT and MRI to find the case of the pain (no luck). They think it scar tissue, they have tried to kill the nerve in my spine No Luck, I’ve have had injection at the site, NO Luck.

I like most of you have had a harder time digesting food, lot of heartburn and bloating. My pain management DR. wants my surgeon to go in and look to see if the scar tissue has attached to something.

Anyone had any luck finding a long term fix, I’m 44 healthy male and looking to get my life back.

I have had my gall bladder removed a little over 4 yrs ago, I have been hurting sense then. I never knew what or why. I finally know why mine does hurt, they just found out. My intestines are trying to close where they did the surgery, they are going in to put a stint into the intestines to open it again where the food can pass and digest normally again. Please have them to do all the tests to see if you have this. I believe one of the tests is an ERCP. Please this can be very dangerous if left for a period of time.
Shy950

I know exactly what you feel. I have upper right inside my rib cage radiating to my back pain. I also am experiencing acid reflux symptoms but I don't have gastritis, ulcers or over active acid. Just pressure on my abdomen. And now the pain seems to radiate to my sternum and chest. I feel like my heart is beating faster. I have to really push for my bowels to work every other 3-4 days. This is just crazy. My bowels worked just fine before my gall bladder removal. I feel like there is something in my throat all the time. I can't eat very much but I don't seem to be losing any weight!! Am I out of my mind. I'm scheduled for a CT scan so maybe it will reveal the tissue growth. If it is this growth, then what?!

I HAD MY GALLBLADDER OUT 3 MONTHS AGO, NOW HAVING A BURNING SENSATION OVER THE RUQ, AND A DULL ACHE IN MY RIGHT FLANK. SOMETIMES THE PAIN IN MY SIDE ISN'T PAIN AT ALL, IN FACT, IT FEELS LIKE THERES JUST SOMETHING THERE APPLING LIGHT PRESSURE. I TO FEEL LIKE I'M GOING NUTS WITH THIS,I JUST WISH IT WOULD BE OVER. I'M ONLY 25YRS. OLD, I'M NOT SUPPOSE TO BE IN PAIN!

I had my gall bladder out 25 years ago and have had on and off digestive issues ever since. About 18 months ago, after gaining some weight I put on some jeans that were unusually tight and when I bent over experienced extreme pressure and pain on my upper right abdomen. Since then, the entire upper right side of my abdomen seems "thick" and like it is one solid mass. I don't call it pain but just constant discomfort. It radiates to my back as well, feeling like tight muscles in the back. Food often feels stuck as it passes this area. I have had numerous tests and my gastro doctor told me after the last one that he is almost certain it is scar tissue from the gall bladder surgery because the way the surgeon did it (one 5-inch vertical cut just above the navel) required reaching in and moving things around. I think the scar tissue was always there and I upset it with the jeans incident. Anything around my waist is uncomfortable and there are times that it is hard to believe scar tissue can be so uncomfortable. He does not recommend removal. Ugh!

Hi there. I'm so glad I found this thread.
My doctor just left me a message on my machine telling me that my pain is caused by scar tissue as a result from my gallbladder surgery 5 years ago.
I have the exact same symptoms you all have described. Pain under/in the right rib cage area. Is it tender to the touch for anyone else? I tought I was going to cry when I had an ultrasound.
Last month the pain got worse. I always referred to the pain as my " phantom gallbladder pain" and I only experienced it durring stressfull times.
Has anyone gotten over this without further surgery?

My pain meds just ran out...so I'm very nervous about living through this.

I hope everyone has a pain free weekend.

Melinda

I had an out patient surgery 3 weeks ago (remove my ovals). He took some pictures during the surgery of what looks like my gallbadder. (that should have been taken out in 1975). He said it appears to be a lot of scar tissues around the area. I am having discomfort on my left side, I get full very fast, and it feels like at times there is something under my left ribs......can you help me? :-( :-( :-( :-( :-(

I had my surgery 2 weeks ago today with the laparascope. I too was assured that after 7-10 days I'd feel pretty much back to my old self. Well my old self never had indigestion. I have IBS but never diarrhea like I get now. But worst of all is the right-side pain. As I sit here typing I'm trying to breath 'over' the pain (old Lamaze technique) and it helps. The other day I was trying to rub off the remaining sticky tape residue where I assume my gallbladder used to be and I got a terrible searing, tearing kind of pain and now that spot is sore to touch most of the time. Guessing maybe I just disturbed a healing spot but I feel awful. Nausea and occasional lowgrade temp (no more than 100). I've called the doctor, spoken to his nurse who assured a call back. That was 3 days ago. Today he's in surgery. I don't want to sound like a hypochondriac but I assumed I'd be back to work in another week or so (I'm a personal chef so lots of lifting, time on my feet). Not like this, or at least not with real pain meds. I also have fibroymalgia, which has flared up but this is not fibro pain. It helped to read this forum though and see that I am NOT loosing my mind or imagining the pain. Hope everyone finds relief and answers soon. Do you get the feeling that sometimes doctors think this pain is in our heads or we're exaggerating it? After all...they figure they removed the cause right?