I was recommended to try with open surgery for colon resection. However, I know that there is another option Laparoscopic colon surgery. I know it is new procedure and I am not even sure if I can do it here. Anyway my question is: what is the difference between these two procedures, advantages and disadvantages? Thanks.

Open surgery is the standard procedure for colon resection and most resections are performed under general anesthesia. The procedure is done very carefully to avoid injuring the organs that are located close to the colon. Operating time depends on the extent of disease and amount of intervention needed. Laparoscopic colon surgery is a new technique and advantages of laparoscopy include the following: colon function normalizes faster, quicker return to normal activities, less postoperative pain and smaller scar.

In our neck of the woods (Boston area) laparoscopic seems to be the standard. Recovery time is a week and very little pain. Insist on it.

Due to 4 episodes of diverticulitis since July and way to many antibotics and the problem returns, I was scheduled for surgery the 15th of Jan for open colon resection surgery,
I am confused though because I haven't had a Colonoscopy since 04 and feel it is necessary before this serious a surgery. Also I had a CT scan and the scan showed no diverticulitis. I now have cancled my surgery and I feel like I need a second opinion. Please any comments will be appreciated.

Peggy

I had major colon resection surgery October of 2006. I was told from my doctor that recovery can take 6 months to 1 year. It's been 5 months now and I'm experiencing some sharp pain and chronic constipation again. Has anyone else had this surgery recently? If yes, is this pain normal??

I was diagnosed with Diverticulitis September 2006. I was on 1 antibiotics and it didn't help. I had a CAT Scan, Ultrasound, and a Colonoscopy done. They found that my pockets were ready to burst open. I was in serious condition. Was hospitalized for 3 days with IVS running. I did have the open surgery done October 3, 2006. In your case I would recommend a 2nd opinion. I would definately have a colonoscopy done before surgery. It does show alot to determine if surgery is necessary or not.

I had a colon resection done October 2006. Had a few complications since then. I know it can take 6 months to 1 year to heal completely. But now I'm experiencing bleeding from my bowel again. Is this anything to be concerned about? Could it be the disease is back? Any comments would surely help.

I just had a colon resection done on April 17 and no complications at all. The reason I am posting this, is because I went on the internet before surgery and other's experiences scared me half to death. My surgeon was very direct, precise and did an excellent job. It was done with open surgery, not laprascopically and he said my recovery time would be about a month. I am now almost 2 weeks post-op ~ up walking most of the day, light housework and will slowly start back to work on Monday. I just want others to know that I didn't experience the horror stories that I read about. The more I get back to my regular schedule, the more my body is adjusting. I'm not overdoing and know my limits. Just wanted to encourage others who are facing the same operation.

Monday may the 7th 2007 i had a colon resectioning because of my battle with diverticulitis. i was released yesterday form the hospital and have extreme cramps and no bowel movements. Is this normal??

Hi

I had laproscopic for diverticulitis on the 14 May, still off work with some pain lower right side, from the people I have spoken too it would appear to be in keeping with the procedure, what we must remember is that it is major surgery, whether by open or laproscopic, many organs are moved nad bruising is inevitable, i geuss we have to be patient, also a factor is age, the older you are the longer recovery, as for returning to bowel movement my first one was 7days after the op and that was with medication

I've been battling repeated bouts of diverticulitis for 11 years, with the latest one not responding to antibiotics, and the inflammation having spread to my bladder, even after being hospitalized for 4 days, and put on another round of antibiotics at home. I'm absolutely terrified of the surgery, and I'm finding that my courage is non-existent. I really don't know how to cope with this. I see all the horror stories. I don't know what to think.

I think that it is great that you have had no problems with your particular surgery.
I think it is fair to point out that colon surgery has many variations what is done and for what.
I for instance had colon cancer and had a LAR with my sigmoid removed and the upper part of my rectum (to get clear margins). I also had 12 lymp nodes removed. I was told without complications my recovery would talk 6-8 weeks (before I should return to work) and at least 6 months to heal.

I have had chronic consitpation for 30 years, now to find out my colon does not have the muscle to push through the poop and it just stays inside me. Only with laxatives can I go at all. Doctor wants to do a colon resection. I am looking to talk to someone who has had this done with simular experiences as I.

I just underwent on August 14th, 2007 a Laparoscopic surgery to remove my Descending and Sigmoid Colon. This surgery was not as a result of any disease process but a malformation or my Sigmoid Colon in which it had become twisted and very narrow, causing chronic constipation, becoming laxative dependant, 25+ pound weight loss, missing much work and generally being miserable all of the time. The surgery could not have gone better. Though this surgery is still done "open" more and more surgeons are opting for Laparoscopic surgery. Blood loss is mininal, infection rates much lower, much lower mortality rate, 2-4 days inpatient post-op hospital stay. Since my medical problem was not caused by any disease process my surgeon more or less had to make it up as he went along. I was shocked post-op when he told me the extent of what he had to do to me and the fact that he was able to not have to open me up to do all of this work. I have copies of my Operation Report and Surgery Notes and researched this surgery and what he did on the internet. One site that I recommend is ****** - that is if you don't mind watching that actual surgeries being performed along with commentaries. In my case it eased my fears in some way to know how this surgery was going to be accomplished, the positive and negative aspects of Laparoscopic Colon surgery vs "open" Colon surgery. If you have had all the pre-op testing, Colonoscopy, Abdominal/Pelvic CT scans with contrast, Barium Enema with contrast, get the post procedure reports and films and get a second opinion. If your GI doctor and the surgeon you choose for the second opinion think you need the surgery then by all means go with their opinions. I live in a medium sized town in NW Louisiana and found a number of very qualifed surgeons who specialized in gastrointestinal Laparoscopic surgery. The surgeon who performed my surgery told me that initially he would attemtp to do mine Laparoscopically but if necessary he would do it "open". I am so glad that this surgery was able to be done Laparoscopically.

**edited by moderator**

My husband had sigmoid colon resection on August 16th. He did not have cancer or other disease. He had an extra long colon which was twisting and causing much pain and illness. I am writing because he is now just over 3 weeks post op and is experiencing pain, constipation, nausea, all over again. This after feeling pretty good week 2. He was so ill last thursday that we ended up in the er. They said it was constipation and wanted him to take a large dose of laxative. Friday he started bowel movements from the laxative but by Friday night he was in excruciating pain and could hardly walk. We called the cr on call and he said either take more laxative and wait and see or you can come back to the hospital. Then on Sat. he was markedly improved. but still in pain. Since you had your surgery two days earlier could you tell me about your recovery pain? If any? ARe you taking pain meds still? Are you back to work? I would love to discuss with you since your cases are so similar. Thank you so much for your post.. (he is scheduled to see his surgeon tomorrow for a follow up.)