Hi! My dad needs to go to heart surgery next Monday. I’m really afraid because I don’t know how he will feel after it. I don’t know anybody who had this kind of surgery but I would like to ask somebody how long is recovery from open heart surgery? Thanks!

Of course, it depends of person. He will be going home approximately five to six days after surgery. But, as I know, the at-home recovery period after open heart surgery typically lasts two months. After that, if everything will be ok, he can slowly return to normal activities. Good Luck!

Hey, I've had open heart twice. My last one was 5 years ago. and I just learned that I have to have another one. the recovery time is about 8 to 10 weeks total. the stay in the hospital is about 5 to 7 days then it's just up to him to slowly get himself better! good luck!

aug.8, 2008 i had quad by-pass i left the hospital in 5 days my doctors have told me very little i was never sent to therapy at this time 4/21/09 i still feel like there is a tire on my chest and if i try running a pressure in my chest makes me slow down nobody seems to know why

As with any radiation treatment, Contura works by killing cells-- both cancerous and healthy. Your surgical team and oncologist will plan out the placement of radiation to minimize the damage to healthy tissue, but it cannot be eliminated. There are also inherent risks in all surgeries, including infection, blood clotting, and damage to blood vessels or nerves

I had triple bypass heart surgery, with a valve replacement as well, in July, 2009. It took about six months before I felt entirely at ease with my new life, so to speak. I discovered that they had to cut 'nerves' in my chest (left of my heart) which did not heal for a while: this made the area numb more than anything. Some of the nerves still are healing but it is not painful. My real pain was in the leg from where the doctors had to remove a couple of veins. THAT pain was far greater than what I experienced at the chest site.

It is nine-odd months since my operation and I'm feeling great. I no longer 'huff and puff' up hills, which I used to do. With some help I was able to give up smoking. I feel physically better than at any time in my life, which is pretty amazing. I hope everything goes well for you and yours.

I just had open heart surgery 4 weeks ago. I had a birth defect in my aortic valve. My recovery has been wonderful. It was not at all what I thought it would be. I was really scared and thought the pain would be horrible. But it wasn't that bad. Modern medicine has come a long way. I only spent 3 days in the hospital. The nurses managed my pain wonderfully. Then they sent me home with plenty of meds. and instructions. I was really tired for about the first week and a half. So rest is important. But at exactly 2 weeks to the day I went back to work. I babysit. Now I still had some restrictions like lifting and driving. But after the first 2 weeks I didn't need any pain meds. I did make sure to get up and move around when I wasn't sleeping. That seemed to help a lot. I'm 42 and may have to have the surgery again in the far future. But I will not be so worried the next time. Within days after my surgery I felt amazingly better then I did before my surgery. More energy and I was not having shortness of breath or chest pain anymore. My blood pressure was better and I had no more water retention in my legs. It was amazing!!!!!! I will say a prayer for your dad. Good luck and tell your dad to get lots of rest and to do everything the doctors tell him. Also tell him to be sure to get up and move as much as he's able, but not to over do it. God bless both of you!!!!

It sure is great what they are able to do. I had 6x bypass 16 years ago and I was up doing things within a week. They operated late in the day on a Friday. It was supposed to be the first thing in the morning but there was an emergency and I got postponed. When my wife came to see me Tuesday morning they asked if I wanted to go home. Within a week I was out in my shop fixing VCRs. They were light enough for me lift but probably heavier than the doctors wanted me to be lifting. When you're self employed, you can't sit around doing nothing. Someone has to pay the bills. My operation was on the Ides of March and we had a heavy snow storm the first week in April so I was out there putting the snow plow on my Jeep about 3 weeks after the operation.  They had not even taken the staples out of my arm yet where they "harvested" an artery for repair tubing.

shortest time 90 days if all goes well

hello dear it depends whether its valve replacement or bye pass,in both the cases need not worry he has to stay for 3 days in iccu then further 8 days in hospital and maximum 3months r required for recovery ,if heisnot having sm other medical problem

simmi singh wrote:

ruthie374 wrote:

Those must be extreme outside numbers!

I was in ICU for a whole day. It would have been only about 6 hours but they were waiting for a bed in a regular room to open up. They had no other place to put me.

I went home a few hours short of 4 days after the operation and was working a couple weeks later. I still had staples in my arm and it was a little painful when I carried in the picture tube that the UPS girl delivered but I was able to do it.

One side of my chest was numb for several months due to nerves being cut but that didn't prevent me from doing whatever I needed to. Most of the pain in/on my chest turned out to be from the hair growing back and getting stuck in my T-shirt. I figured that out when I had the stress test a while later. It was no longer hurting by that time and they shaved my chest to hook me up. The same pain was back again until the hair grew out so what I thought had been from the operation was really just the hair growing out.

I'm aware that every one is different but your statement seems quite extreme. Nearly everyone I have met in the 16 years since mine has had a shorter recovery time than I did due to constantly improving surgical methods.

I have had a quintuple bypass operation (1996) and a mitral valve replacement (bovine tissue valve (2005), which has been shown to be leaking more than moderately by an echocardiogram. In trying to decide on a mitral valve replacement with an artificial valve, I would like to know of an estimate of recovery time for a standard open heart surgery.

i had the same recovery as you, it was so much better then what i was fearing. i'm not saying it was a piece of cake, but really not bad at all.

My son had open heart 7/31/12 for pulmonary valve installation and septal defect repair. He spent only 3days in Hospital. He then went back to college on 8/16 and started class 8/20. It was a trial for him doing it that quick and lugging books around and walking to all his classes.  But he is only 21 so I think that helped him recover much faster. Now its almost 4 months later and other than the fact he has muscle atrophy he does anything he wants.

i just had open hart 6way by pass in dec. it is hard to cough or sneze.the best place to sleep is in your easy chair not your bed. he will need help to get washed for the first few weeks were your huggy so when you cough or snsze you grab it and hold it tight and its not to rough