I AM HAVING A TOTAL COLECTOMY IN 3 DAYS. I WAS WONDERING IF THEIR IS USUALLY ANY WEIGHT LOSS AFTER THE SURGERY AND AFTER THE RECOVERY. THE DOCTOR IS GOING TO TAKE OUT MY COLON AND RECONNECT THE SMALL INTESTINE TO MY RECTURM. SO NO BAGS. CAN ANYONE HELP ME. I CAN BE EMAILED AT ******

edited by moderator***private emails not allowed

Hello! I can’t say with certainty whether you will lose weight or not. You may lose some weight because you will have to make dietary changes after the surgery. You will be advised to eat smaller and more frequent meals which certainly contributes to weight loss.
Although there are no set rules about the types of food to avoid, you may still experience some problems and bowels may take time to recover. The thing is that you will have to experiment with foods and find what suits you best after the surgery. At first, you will be advised to eat foods high in fiber and fruits and to drink a lot of water. This too may lead to a weight loss-but gradually.

I HAD MY SURGERY ON AUG. 23. I HAD COMPLICATIONS AND WAS IN THE HOSPITAL FOR 16 DAYS. IT WAS HORRIBLE. I HAVE LOST 20 LBS. BUT I KNOW A LOT OF IT IS BECAUSE I WAS UNABLE TO EAT FOR THE FIRST 2 WEEKS AFTER I GOT HOME. MY DOCTOR TOLD ME TO EAT WHATERVER I WANTED , AS LONG AS IT DIDN'T BOTHER ME. IT IS TAKING MY BOWELS A LONG TIME TO REALLY WAKE UP. I AM GOING ABOUT ONCE A DAY NOW, WHICH IS MUCH BETTER THAN NEVER. LOL!!
THANK YOU FOR REPLYING TO ME.
PATTY PERRYMAN

I also had complications.... when I was in the hospital and i was at the hospital for 2 months.... But i have a BM right after i eat... So how are you feeling now....and how old are you? are you working out and things? Also what kind of things can you eat...pls email me at *****....i really need to talk to someone about this....thanks
Parisa

**this post is edited by moderator ** private e-mails not allowed **

Hi. I am considering total bowel removal due to my unrelenting medically induced constipation. After seeing some photos of people sewed up after the operation, the time out,diarrhea...I am scared. I'm beginning to consider having a colostomy bag inserted, however that makes me not only scared but grossed out too

ReluctantBagLady

I had a total colectomy about six - seven years ago. I had a total colectomy with iliostomy and a j-pouch. Basically, I had the colon removed and a colestomy bag in its place. The colestomy bag remained with me for about seven months and then was removed. Once the bag was removed I had normal bowel movements. I had one long six inch incision below my panty line - barely noticible now. And then rest of the surgery was done lyproscopicaly so I have no real noticible scars above my bikini line. My mother and sister had the same procedure done - it runs in the family. We have had very minor complications over the years (mostly scar tissue.) The important thing is to research your surgeon - make sure they are a colo-rectal specialist and make sure they are very familiar with lyproscoptic procedures. I also find that teaching hospitals are on the cutting edge of techonlogy and new processes - that might be a good place to start. Good Luck with your search - Hope this helps.

On a side note - post surgery I dropped to 96 lbs. I am now at about 140lbs - and can eat anything I want and normally do. Your body will normally adjust to not having a colon and you will go back to a normal weight with time.

I had a colectomy a year ago in April for a cancerous tumor due to a hereditary gene. I was 54 but my mother, sister, and niece all had it in their 30's and 40's. I also went through chemo due to possible cells in two lymph nodes out of all that were removed.

I did lose weight; went from 115 to 103 partially due to the chemo and adjustment of my new digestive/elimination system. I did not have a bag and I had laproscopic surgery.

I weigh around 107 now so I am gradually picking up a little more weight. I eat almost anything but I avoid nuts and popcorn. I do have more BMs than the normal person and they are all different depending on what I had to eat.
I feel pretty much like my old self, I exercise, have a full time job which I only missed about 4-6 weeks of after the surgery and I do everything around the house as far as cleaning, cooking, errands, etc. So I am living a very full life and I feel very fortunate.

I had genetic testing to determine the exact gene and my children plan to be tested in the near future. My doctors recommend lots of screenings such as endoscopy, sigmoidoscope, as well as the usual gynecological screenings. My mother has also had cancer of the uterus and ureter but she has survived it all and is 82. She even smokes!

My worst condition throughout was hemmoroids but I finally went to a chiropractor recommended by a friend and he performed acupressure and put me on collisonia root and choline and they were pretty much gone in a week after having had them for a year since the surgery. I do have minor flairs but no real discomfort like before.

Hope this helps someone. A good attitude and trying to continue to live your life as normally as possible is very helpful.

HI there. I had my total colectomy almost 3 years ago. Just like most of you, I had complications as well. I wasn't in the hospital for that long, but it did take a while for my small intestine to wake up. About a month after the surgery I developed a blot clot in my stomach and I needed Lovenox for 30 days. Im really young and I was honestly too scared to give myself a shot everyday, so my mom gave me the shot in my stomach. She also was the one who cared for my ostomy. She is my hero. I had the ostomy for 4 months and I still have a lot of bm's but not quite as many as I used to when I had UC. I'd say about 6 on a good day. I can eat almost anything I want. I stay away from greasy foods cause they really upset my intestine, iceberg lettuce cause of really bad bloating, and of course SPICY FOODS for obvious reasons. i.e. food travels through a lot faster, so you're gonna feel that. lol
Recently, I've developed CUPITIS, not POUCHITIS. Cupitis is in the last remaining piece of the rectum only and i have no bleeding or cramping, but it is extremely uncomfortable in the rectal area. It's actually been very debilitating for me. I just got these pains the beginning of this week. I've been really depressed because this is only reminding me of how horrible things used to be (though this is extremely minor, but the fact remains that pain is still pain and noone should have to go through this) and I can only take vicodin for the pain at night before I go to bed. Mt GI doctor prescribed me a steroid suppository (i forgot the name), but I don't know if it's gonna kick in. If anyone has gone through this as well please let me know. I'm really scared because if it doesn't work I worry that he will put me on prednisone and I hate that stuff with a passion. Most of you with the illness know all the terrible things it can do to a person. He told me that if by next week I'm still having pains to call him and he will need to prescribe me something else. He didn't say what, but I can only assume it would be the prednisone. :-( If anyone has advice please let me know. Thanks!!!

After reading all these posts, I'm really scared to have my total colectomy. I'm 21 and am scheduled for it in a month due to necrotic tissue throughout my colon. They want to attach my small intestine to the rectum so that I won't have to have a bag. Will I really have 6 BM's in a day for the rest of my life? I'm really upset about this whole situation. I mean, I guess it's better than the way I've been living...in pain every day for years and years...but I'm so scared. How long will my hospital stay be? Will I be able to live a fairly normal life?

Hello ,
I just had my total colectomy at the end of July.I was like you vert worried about getting my normal life back. My hospital stay was 6 days and when I came home I was having around 11 BM a day and wondered how could this be normal ...... But now I have around 3 BM a day .I eat small meals throughout the day . I had lost 20 pounds after surgery so there is weight loss but the pain I use to have is no longer there .I have a genetic condition which made them take my colon but leave my rectum.I am still healing and testing the waters with food and with other activities I was really concerned about how it would effect me sexually but honestly it hasnt changed in that area ....So Hang in there you will be ok. I am also fairly young

I had a total colectomy 2 weeks ago. I was terrified! .....but already the results are amazing. I was in hospital for 6 days - not much fun! and I am tiring easily still.... but my bowel motions are not an issue. I go about 6 times a day .....but who cares! it is no big deal......much better then never going at all. I am going to find the recovery frustrating, I am a ver active person, but i figure what is six weeks of recovery to a continued lifetime of what I had. I think wha they have managed to successfully do to my body is amazing! I am in awe of my surgeon. I lost lots of weight intially, but am putting it back on and am eatinf pretty normally. It is all good!!!!
Selena

Thank you everyone for discussing this topic on line. I have been searching for some feedback from people who have had this surgery before scheduling mine. I have slow transit which has gradually become almost debilitating. Reading your experiences helps me to know what to expect post surgery and also gives me encouragement to know that most of you are glad that you had this surgery.

HELLO ALL, I HAD MY TOTAL COLECTOMY 2 1/2 MONTHS AGO AND I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER NOW. I WENT FROM HAVING NO BM'S UNLESS MEDICINE INDUCED TO BEING ABLE TO HAVE 3-6 A DAY. THIS SURGERY WAS DEFINATELY HEAVEN SENT. I WAS GAINING ABOUT 20LBS A YEAR AND COULDNT FIGURE OUT WHY. I KNOW WHY NOW AND GRADUALLY LOOSING. I AM HOPING THAT I DON'T HAVE OTHER ISSUES YEARS DOWN THE ROAD BUT THIS SURGERY HAS DEFINATELY GOT MY SPIRITS BACK UP. I WAS DIAGNOSED AS HAVING IBS 6 YEARS AGO AND THE GI DR WOULD NOT DO ANYTHING ELSE EXCEPT FOR GIVE ME PILLS THAT WOULDNT WORK. I LATER HAD HEMORRHAGING 6/08 AND WAS REFERRED TO A COLORECTAL DR. SHE DID A FEW SIMPLE TESTS TO DETERMINE IT WAS INFACT COLONIC INERTIA WHERE PART OF MY ASCENDING COLON WAS PARALYZED. THE DR SAID IT WAS BETTER TO TAKE THE ENTIRE COLON TO MAKE SURE THE PROBLEM WAS COMPLETELY RESOLVED, INSTEAD OF YEARS DOWN THE ROAD FINDING THAT MORE OF THE COLON WAS ALSO PARALYZED. 2 MONTHS LATER MY ENTIRE COLON WAS REMOVED (3 DAYS IN THE HOSPITAL) AND I WAS BACK AT WORK 2 MONTHS LATER. SO FAR I HAVE HAD NO COMPLICATIONS EXCEPT FOR FOODS NOT TO EAT. ALSO LEARNING HOW TO DEAL WITH THE BM'S INCONSISTENCY, BUT AT LEAST I AM NOT BLOATED LIKE A FISH ALL THE TIME ANYMORE. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

I have a large polyp in the sigmoid colon which needs to be removed along with that portion of the colon I also have a large rectocele, and megacolon. My surgeon is saying to me that I can elect to have a total colectomy and have small bowel attatched to rectum but this could cause incontinence it is a huge dilemma I know that if I only have subtotal colectomy my pain, constipation and bloating will still be there I am 48 any advice out there please.

I am having a toal colectomy in 0ne month. My doctor is not sure whether I have crohn's or ulcerative colitis. My serology resutls form Prometheus labs said that I have ulcerative colitis. Has anyone had a false report on the serology test? I would like to avoid an ilestomy if I can.