After having 12 inches of my colon removed and gaining this 7 inch scar on my belly, I have also noticed that my stomach is sticking out further than it used to. I suppose this is normal, but is there anything that I can do to get it back up where it belongs? My muscles have returned but there is a crevice that runs down the scar line between the abdominal muscles. My guess is that once the abdominal muscles have been severed they will not grow back together near the incision area? I can physically feel a depression between the muscles. No pain or sensitivity.

After I eat my stomach acts like a balloon and expands outward more than it has ever done before. With the scar, I now have stomach cleavage!

As far as exercise, I do leg raises both on the floor and on a vertical elbow padded stand, and I do situps on a large exercise ball. Are there any other abdominal exercises you recommend? Should I be concerned about this or should I get used to it and put my pride aside?

Thanks.

My colon resection surgery was July 21 here Iam Nov.3rd still with a huge pouch! They took 12 inches of my colon
out & left me with a scar & stomach that looks like I have 2 butts now!! I can deal with the scar, its the pouch &
how uncomfortable Iam! It gets so tight feeling as if its going to blow out the incision! I believe I have tried everything
out there for bloating. Does this ever go away? Is there something that has worked for you? At times I really wished I
would never let them cut me open..as Im just as miserable now as before!!

I am only 3 weeks post bowel resection, minimally invasive surgery.  I was really fit before surgery, lost 8 pounds, and my stomach looks awful!  When can I do sit-ups and please tell me the distention goes away!

I have had this surgery as well - and have the butt cheeks too!  it does not go away and insurance doesnt pay for it to be fixed!!!

Quote:

The butt cheek appearance is likely due to the way the incision is closed. There is suture underneath th skin layer. The sutra closes the layers of muscle and fat and is likely pulled a bit tight that it was before the incision.

I had a bowel resection due to crohns disease over 2 and a half years ago, i found i was able to do situps roughly 8-10 weeks after surgery, but only taking it slow, like starting with 10 a day, and slowly built up, however i still have a lot of distention since the surgery.

I'm only 18 now and having been younger when i had surgery i would have thought my age would have assisted the recovery but i seem to have the same results as everybody else who has had this surgery.

Is there any specific exercises i can do to help minimize this distention?

All great questions and concerns that I can associate with after having 12" of my colon removed. The sad thing is I fail to see a recomendation of what, if anything, can be done about it from any Dr. or Physical Therapist. Which leads me to think this site is a waste of time.

I am 5 weeks post-op. Had 17" taken out and have the large scar. For the first three or so weeks my stomach was bloated and distended. Just over this last week or two the bloating and the distension has gone away. Before the surgery I was moderately fit, but you always have to remember all that muscle just got cut in half. I have the "crevasse" effect that the scar produces and I asked my surgeon what would help. He gave me a prescription for physical therapy. Not the sit-ups and walking on a treadmill kind, but the type where they put those nodes from some therapy machine on a specific muscle and work some magic. The surgeon said that should help immensely to get things back to the way they should be. I still have to call my insurance and see if they will cover it, but if they do I will definitely try that and spread the word. Worth a shot.

I had an emergency bowel resection due to endometriosis that I didnt know I had. It had formed  around my small intestine 4 years ago and I had 6 inches removed. The left side of my belly sticks out quite a bit I look nine months pregnant. When I stand up it is very hard and heavy. I really dont know what to do about it. I also have bouts of diareah and constipation. im not sure if that is normal after that type of surgery. I went back to the surgeon who did my surgery and he really seem like there was anything I could do. I cant live like this its very uncomfortable and it looks terrible. I was wondering if anyone else had this happen to them?

After 22" of colon and 6-8 " of small intestines, appendix, all lymph nodes running along colon, and a lot of scar tissue removed, i too was left with the scar indention issue.  It will go away a bit with time , however i use a drop of pure lavender oil mixed with olive oil, every night along the scar area and it has helped.  Lavender oil can be purchased on line at Young Living.  Lav. oil also helps with scar tissue trying to form after surgeries.  Oils should be used once the incision is COMPLETELY healed. The Lav. oil will soften the scar making the appearance and feel of it much better.  Bloating for me is off and on, but the side the colon that was removed, of course is lower that then other side.

Your remaining colon is now working to take over what was removed. Give it some time. I Do continue to have bouts of diarrhea off and on but now it runs about once a month and when i eat fried foods, so avoid that when possible. Dairy products will bloat you greatly now that you've had this colon removal.  Aloe Vera juice, one tablespoon morning and night mixed with grape juice to taste better will help with the intestine inflammation and gases and bloating .  One can purchase at a good heath website or a whole food drug store. Your doctors will not tell you this but i have studied since i'm two years out from my ordeal and also speaking with a natural medicine Dr.that is also a surgeon. 

Hope this helps all of you

Hey there I had a hysterectomy due to endometriosis last Jan.I almost died because the dr. didn't listen to me about all the scar tissue that formed they had to call in a team of surgeons because all my organs were matted together they took out 9 inches of my intestines, I have been experiencing diarrhea and constipation , I can't eat lettuce, fried food,milk products, it had gotten so terrible I could only eat gerber graduates, after 18 mths I found a GI dr. about 2wks ago he told me they had cut out some of my bile salts that is what breaks down the fat from our food so now they have a maybe diagnosis of choleretic diarrhea with IBS-D. I have been so miserable, now my stomach distends out all they time especially after I eat. I have always had a flat stomach and I hate that I cant get my stomach to go down. I dont know what to do. I go back in August to see what can be done but he told me basically I would have to live my life like this. I gained 10 pounds because I started bingeing on funyons and cherry pies. Now I cut sweets out and I'm trying more fresh fruits , I don't have a big selection of food to pick from but now that I 've changed eating habits I stay so constipated.you cant win. I wish I knew how to get rid of this horrible STOMACH.HELP

I've had this operation twice. First time, 11 years ago, 10 inches of colon was removed. Following that surgery my abdomen eventually resumed a normal appearance (other than the scar).

About 9 1/2 years later the original incision herniated, and the repair of that hernia caused a 'pooch' on my abdomen that would not go away.

Now I'm 6 weeks past a surgery in which my colon was nearly completely removed (only 6 inches at the end remains). This incision looks like it will result in both the 'butt cheek'  and 'pooch' appearance.

I'm not sure whether plastic surgery can correct this; probably not as the problem is likely deep under the skin. Perhaps I should be grateful that I got by without having to permanently wear a colostomy bag.

Sorry to read of everyone's troubles; life is sure hard sometimes.

I had a bowel resection six years ago. I hate my stomach now. I was in good shape. I too look pregnant. Right below my breasts my stomach sticks out and when I eat, forget it. I don't even know what clothes to buy anymore. The surgeon did mine laparoscopically. He poked me in the middle and then four placed around my stomach, in a circle. My left upper hip actually sticks out more than my right since the surgery. I hate how I look. It effects me every day. I feel so ugly. My doctor told me there is probably nothing I can do. I just wonder if I have a ton of scar tissue that is making my body look like this. I wish someone could help me.

Hey i was shot a few months back long storey lol but i had 12 inches of my bowel removed and i experience horrible gas that has had me in the er 7 times and the runs from hell as far as the butt belly i fund packing on a serious six pack hid it pretty well

I too had colon resectioning surgery and it has been almost a year now. I almost immediately got a depression where my 7-8 inch incision runs. I had complications that caused me to have a blockage and I had 2 more surgeries after the initial one within a 2 week period. I asked the surgeon about what could be done about the problem and he seemed to get quite angry. He said no one would touch me for at least a year. Then he asked if I was considering a filler. I am planning to consult a dermitologist in December to see my options. You may want to do the same.