Hello! After experiencing constipation and blood in the stool I suspected hemorrhoids and went to a doc to have that checked out. However, the symptoms were more similar to colon polyps which I had no idea existed and now I need a biopsy. I am scheduled for the next week. Can you tell me how this looks like and how long does it last? Thx

Hello! A colonoscopy is a test which allows the doctor to look directly at your colon. Sedation is used for the procedure. A thin, flexible tube with a bright light at the end is put into your bottom and from here it goes to their large intestine. The tube is called an endoscope. The doctor can then look down the tube and see the lining of the large intestine and check for the polyps. He will take them out and take them in the lab to check for malignancy. The whole procedure lasts for about 45 minutes.

Post total open Colectomy Patient still constipated after 5 months...any advice?

I had a Total open Colectomy and the Pathology on my colon came back "bad" but not cancer. My question is ..can your small intestine also get polyps once the colon is totally removed? I have three other Family members with colon cancer...one died...two on chemo/radiation post surgery...I am 47. Do I need a screening of my small intestine for colon cancer even though it is really my small intestine connected to my anus?

Has anyone had a Tummy Tuck post colectomy?

Celebrity
You can’t develop colon cancer now that the colon has been removed!

Polyps in the colon doesn’t make you more prone to developing polyps in small intestines.

Even if polyps in small intestines do develop, they are usually benign and don’t turn into cancer. However, they could cause some other complications. Polyps in the small intestines can produce an obstruction. If the polyps get so big, they can obstruct the bowel. This obstruction can lead to dilatation of the intestine. Dilatation is caused by accumulation of gastrointestinal secretions and swallowed air. Cell secretory activity is stimulated, which can lead to fluid accumulation and frequent loose stools.

However, you may be at risk of developing rectal polyps or even rectal cancer after total colectomy, so make sure you have that checked.

Community Administrator
https://www.steadyhealth.com/topics/post-colectomy-diet&highlight=#331290

Hi there! I haven’t had colectomy but am thinking about performing an abdominoplasty, so I have been going through the procedure and I know some details about how it is performed.

From what I have been going through, the surgeons elevate id separate your skin from the wall of your abdomen and then pull together the muscles and suture them. This is for firmer abdominal muscles and smaller waist. Then they remove the fat, pull down the skin, make a new navel and finish with it. Sounds so easy and it lasts from 2 to 5 hours.

In my point of view, all surgeries are heavy and risky and having two in a short time….when did you have colectomy?

My biggest concern with abdominoplasty is that it doesnn’t guarantee the long-term effects. Soon after, if a person doesn’t take too much care of him/herself, they can go back to where they previously were and gain fat sacks again. I have seen it.

Are you honestly thinking about having tummy tuck?

Re: Abdominal plasty...yes I'm seriously thinking about it...I have had two colectomy surgeries...half in 01 and half and a slenectomy in 8/05....as well as a hysterectomy in 03. Also a face lift because I had cervical spinal fusion and my neck sages now from the stretching during surgery. The surgeon will use the same scars but he will cut out all of the old scaring and make a nice cosmetic scar. Also cutting away the drain holes that were punch thru my abdominal cavity in 01...it was a emergancy surgery. The second surgery was planned but I was left with a even more horrible scar than the first time. Life is all about choices but it is always good to have as much input as you can obtain.
Thanx