I first started drinking when I was 14, now at age 52 I have decided enough is enough. Today is Saturday 28th May and I had my last drink on Wednesday 19th... ever since then I've been dragging my butt with tiredness and the last four days have suffered migraines. I go through phases of fancying a drink but haven't caved in yet... I know its only 10 days but I'm proud of myself for getting this far.
I just don't want to feel like c**p forever that's all.
Does anyone have any recommendations for getting over this tired, sickly stuff I'm going through or can tell me how long I can expect to feel this rough?
Thanks all.
DD

Congratulations. Hang in there.
I quit 29 years ago so I can't remember how long it took to get rid of the ill effects but you are well on the way. It feels so good to always be sober I have no desire to go back. I really don't remember the time frame but I think I was feeling pretty darn good after a month.

Today marks 2 weeks since my last drink. I'm taking one step forward and two back, yesterday I walked the dog for an hour and felt okay, last night I was so tired I went to bed at 9pm only to wake in awful pain at 2am... been up ever since. I have fibromyalgia and I'm thinking that quitting alcohol so suddenly has brought on another flare up. I'm not going to start drinking again, I'll only have to go through this c**p again later so I'll just keep going as long as I can.
I knew this wasn't going to be easy but boy, I never thought I'd hurt this bad!

I'm now 3 1/2 weeks sober... I'm getting to be able to pour a cocktail for my husband and not even think about pouring one for myself. He thinks I'm abstaining for 8 weeks 'just because I can' but I figured it wasn't worth the discussion about why I wanted to quit - he has said before that I can stop at one drink but I know I can't... I know me better than he does anyway!
I still miss it though... and I'm still in a lot of pain but that might be because of the car accident and my fibromyalgie so I'm not going to disect it here.

Good for you.
Don't give up now. It gets better every day.
Life without alcohol is terrific.

Thank you... its nice to have someone 'in my camp'...

Five weeks tomorrow! Did you hear? FIVE WEEKS! I didn't think I could go five hours without a drink!
The latest challenge is that I'm eating chocolate and ice-cream and sugary drinks... I swear even a spoonful of sugar wouldn't be sweet enough for me. I'm pretty sure its because my body is craving the sugar from the alcohol but my weight is starting to climb and that's worrying. I have some severe money problems (got laid off in October last year) and there are times I can't sleep at night for thinking about it but although there have been a few times I've wanted to get a rum and coke but didn't... and today was a toughie because I had to sell some of my jewelry to pay a couple of bills...
So my invisible pals out there, how long does this hurdle in the race go on for?

As the old philosopher says: "never give up, never give up, never give up, ------ that ship".
Think of it this way. There ain't anything you can face that will be better when you're drunk and you DO know that.

Congrats on the five weeks and eating candy seems to be almost universal as a substitute. It goes with quitting drinking and smoking.

It's been so long since I quit both I really don't remember how long the desire lasted but in was weeks not years. I quit smoking 6 months after I quit drinking.

The desire for alcohol wasn't too bad to deal with. It was the desire to go to the bar where all my "friends" were. That had been my social life for years and I had to find a new life. When I analyzed it my drinking was really a sham. I kept going back night after night hoping to re-experience a really fun night that had happened only a couple times in 15 years. Of course it didn't happen, so every night was really a disappointment by the end of the night. Once I realized that, I didn't miss my drunken "buddies" nearly as much, and thinking about the stress of knowing I was drunk and still had to drive home certainly wasn't attractive at all.

You know you feel better mentally when you're sober so don't give in.

Don't ask me why... but I decided to have a couple of drinks with my husband last night. I wasn't stressed, I wasn't anxious, it had been a busy weekend but I just decided I wanted to join him. I had two drinks, no measures, just poured pretty liberally.
I feel so stupid. And I feel sick too. But most of all I feel really guilty

If you are truly going to keep on the path that you started on (because something led you to get sober in the first place) then you need to stick to your guns and STAY SOBER! it's easy to divert and have a drink or 2, however you have to be strong and fine some support somewhere somehow...eveen stop being around those who dtink, to keep on the path to NOT drinking.

i suffered hallusionasions after 48 hrs of 15 years drinking, i had to drink 2 stop them they were so scary and evil. so i weened off, i found diazipam and the odd drink with will power to only have half your normal amount was payinoff, then i started having whole days off . took bout 2 weeks off, felt like a year but cravins stay with u, increase your appetite when u get 2 this point.

You are a very strong  God bless you continue doing what you’re doing  Really it is  such an inspiring story.