Hello! I have been in a relationship with my boyfriend for over 10 years, ever since we were kids. For the last 4 years we have been living together. However, we didn’t always hang out together as he was going out with his buddies and I was with mine. Over the years he developed a drinking habit and I am very worried about him and our relationship as I love him very much. We have talked about this, and he agreed that he would quit. He has been drinking for like 4 years constantly like every day but even before that he was drinking occasionally at weekends and parties. I would like to know what kind of withdrawal symptoms we can accept, as we agreed he would go cold turkey! Thank you!

Hi there! Some people don’t even experience any symptoms, however these are the possible. They range from mild to severe and are: feeling of jumpiness or nervousness, feeling of shakiness, anxiety, irritability or easily excited, rapid emotional changes, depression, fatigue, difficulty with thinking clearly, headaches, sweating, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite and many others. However, these were mild symptoms. There could be also some severe symptoms like: a state of confusion and hallucinations (visual), agitation, fever, convulsions, etc.
There is no way to predict how any individual will respond to quitting. Maybe both of you could visit a doctor or a counselor before he goes off.

if some one is going through alcohol and are confused and holusanating how long will that last and what should you do

you can expect, possible death. depending on how much he drinks and how often. 2 years ago i went to rehab, they gave me valium 2mg, 3 times a day for 6 days. i only lasted 43 days before going to my old habits, i just put bottle down 3 days ago, the shakes are so bad i am having my sister type. hands are so shaky, the axiety is hell, not to metion when going #2, i found blood in my stool, then i puked up blood. starting to feel better today a little. if he drinks 1/2 pint of hard liquor or more per day - GO TO THE DOCTOR FIRST!!!!

1 in 80 will dy from cold turkey with heroin, 1 in 33  dy from alcohol!

travis77drunk,

If you are going to make a claim like "1 in 33 dy (sic) from alchohol!" you should really back that up with a link to verify. Sounds like BS to me.

http://www.cordingleyneurology.com/deliriumtremens.html
pay special attention to the second paragraph for this website...

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-symptoms-of-alcohol-withdrawal.htm
pay special attention to the 4th paragraph for this website.....

BTW, AFTER MY LAST POSTING I WAS ON DAY 3 OF DETOX, ON DAY 4 I STARTED HALLUCINATING, DISORIENTED, WAS VISITED BY THE POLICE AND THEN TAKEN TO THE HOSPITAL AND DETOXED FOR 4 DAYS BEFORE THEY WOULD LET ME OUT! NO IF THIS STILL SOUNDS LIKE BS TO YOU, BY ALL MEANS QUIT COLD TURKEY SO YOU CAN FIND OUT FOR YOURSELF, AND HOPEFULLY YOUR NOT THAT ONE IN 33 !!!!!

I have been drinking everyday for the past three months! Should I feel this shitty when I wake up???

I have been drinking almost every day for the last year at least and quite frequently for 3 yrs before that , wanna stop, but when i go half a day without a drink i shake and get so nauseous i cant stand it , so what do i do ? I take another drink to calm that down , never ending circle...... 

TRY TO SLOWLY WEEN YOUR SELF OFF OVER THE PERIOD OF 10 DAYS, I AM CURRENTLY IN REHAB THATS WHAT MY COUNSELOR ADVISED FOR ME IN THE EVENT THAT THIS EVER SHOULD OCCUR AGAIN

It's true! go to the doc. alcohol withdrawal is the only withdrawal that will kill you. It is not safe to quit on your own!

gO TO REHAB!

I have been drinking everyday for the past 5 months. i drink about 10 beers a day! i just recently got a script for 3 days worth of ativan and i am feeling great. So far I am 48hrs sober and feeling so much better than I was when I was drining. i was drinking everyday before for 6 years straight, everyday! i quit that time this way too.

I'm glad to hear that Ativan is helping you... Don't ever mix it with alc. It will make you Very Grumpy. 

I've been drinking heavy for over a decade. I've stopped for a few days at a time. Once as long as 6 months. You aren't going to die!! Unless you do something to yourself.

I have been drinking for 10 years. I can go a few days or sometimes weeks without a drink. You're not going to die.