My father had heart valve replacement last month. Now he is ok and he feels really better. His doctor explained to me and my mother everything about this surgery and about artificial heart valves. Artificial heart valve allow him to live a normal life. I’m want to know how long can artificial heart valves last?

I can tell you for sure that today artificial heart valves are very reliable and allow the patient to live a normal life. Mechanical heart valves are considered to be extremely durable. They can last for at least 20 to 30 years. Biological valves are less durable and must be replaced periodically.

I had my valve replaced with a mechanical valve 25 years ago. I'm now almost 40. I lead a very normal life and am very active... No signs of my valve slowing down...

Hello griffie1719,

I can see that you have already got pretty good answers and I would like to add that my aunt had the same operation as well and she is perfectly fine almost five years now.

And not just that she is leading normal life but she is very active. Well she is not practicing for the marathon but she is walking almost every day certain mileage and she is very careful about her nutrition. This is something that you and your mother will need to take care of because I have heard that male patients are very stubborn when it comes to the adjusting new and healthier diet.

I hope that your father is going to live his life completely normal.

how long does it last a life time?<3

How do you find the blood thinners? I assume you are on warfarin... Does it interact with your life style? I read there are certain food restrictions, alcohol consumption etc...

I had two heart operations, the first when I was 39 to treat mitral valve stenosis and the second (mitral valve replacement) when I was 53, which is 10 years ago. I still in rather good physical conditions and can cycle 15 miles a day. I still have AF but it does not affect my general conditions very much. 

My husband had one put in but he died before 2 years. But the blood thinner caused problems. He got a bleeding ulcer and gout. The doctor told us you are susceptible to gout when you take a blood thinner. MY husband, my uncle and a friend all got gout and were on blood thinners. And yes, you shouldn't drink it thins your blood. And you shouldn't eat salads, and things that are green, like green beans, broccoli, asparagus, etc. They have high vitamin k which thickens your blood. It stands to reason when you take a blood thinner, they don't want you eating something that works against treatment. If you form blood clots around that valve, it could or will stop. I was told you could eat a salad, but if you eat 2 weekly do it all the time. So the inr is consistent. They can adjust the medicine for that. But if you eat stuff one week and not the other it will make your inr off. Hope it helps. Had to learn a lot about stuff because of my husband. He also had a massive stroke during surgery at 40. He past away at 53. He had a coarctation of the aorta at 8 years old.

I had my first heat surgery at 23 had  mitral   valveotomy then at 35 had a machanical mitral valve put in that was 18 years ago I was told when I had the surgery it can last upto 40years but recently I have being doing some research I am a bit worried to find they only last 20-25 years I swim 2000 meters most days should I cut down on  my exercise   

I had one put in 26 years ago I have been active. I am have other unrelated heart issues a leak near a suture in a graft. My valve is good .