my husband recently quit drinking and has withdrawal smptoms and
would like to know how long they usually last when quitting cold turkey?

I had experience with drugs withdrawals and they lasted for about a week but it could last longer. It is the same with alcohol. How harsh are your husband’s withdrawal symptoms?
Has he been a heavy drinker or not?
Can you explain what kind of symptoms he’s having?

I understand what he must be going through. Be strong and be beside him although he may act as if he didn’t need you.

usually 6-10 days thats max. second, third day is usually the worst

6-10 days is BS. I am 20 days dry and I feel like sh*t. I threw up from the 6th to 10th day! The symptoms are waning, but I still am tired all the time, depressed, almost uncontrollable urges. They are getting better though, so tell him to keep it up.

P.S. I also quit smoking at the same time so that might have made things worse.

It took me a month before I was feeling better and I was a really heavy drinker! The only was I got through it was the love and supports of my friends! I believe u can still be sick if u smell the stuff!!

I just stumbled onto this site, as I am a former fiance of an alcoholic. I was recently dumped the week before xmas of this year for reasins unbenounced to me. All i could see is anger within him, but I also have heard that there is such a thing a drydrunk syndrome which he may be going through. Is this true, and if so how long does it possible las?

Sincerely, Evie

I am a recent joiner. I was recently dumped by my former fiance 1 week before xmas who suffers from alcoholism. I was also made aware that there is such a thing as drydrunk syndrome, I was wondering how long this symptom can actually last, and what are the signs of the person going through it. Besides of which I have experienced and seen alot of anger within him, Is this normal?

Sincerely, Evie

My name is Eve and I am a new member with some questions. I was recently engaged to my fiance who suffers from alcoholism. He dumped me 1 wk before xmas of this year. But alot of stuff does not make sense, he was soo angry and full resentments towards me, he even threatened to phone the police over dropping off a xmas gift. This I know is not him. Is there such a thing as drydrunk syndrome? And if so how long does it last?

Sincerely, Eve

This might be helpful to you, Evie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_drunk

Just wanted to say thanks to starmaiden for the link it is helpful to know that this may be the reason behind the irrational behaviour.

Evie

I cannot believe how frustrating it is not to really know what is going on. I know it must be hard for him to be going through the AA program and all, I am still trying to cope with the disengagement, I am soo confused, and I know that I have to be patient if I want answers, who ever said patience is a virtue ought to be shot LOL.

Sincerely, Evie

I have been drinking for 2 years straight then i quit ,then i picked up on the same habit again and have been drinking for a year and a half then i quit again on June.7,2007. Now i'm going through some pretty intense withdrawls face and palms as well as feet soaked, anxiety attacks, poor eating habit , major problems sleeping at night, intense dreams, confusion, stomach in nots, pretty much i feel like sh*t i will never drink again.This is a hard learned experience that i don't wish on anybody ,but you live and you learn .I hope everyone here that knows and or that is going through the same bs i'm going through nothing but the best of luck and godbless.

On day 9 and it has been pretty tough. I am pretty much doing it alone. wife, family, friends ect. Have no clue what I am going thru and probably don't want me to quit. I try to tell everyone that I am done drinking and no one seems to believe me. My wife tried to buy a case of beer for me today at costco for the 4th of July and I almost lost it. Having a major problem convincing people to take me seriously. Any suggestions.

Guest take her to a AA meeting to see what people are having to deal with and go through to quit there addiction goodluck.

I am on day 7 without drinking and I feel totally miserable... I feel like I have the flu or am hung over..... Any ideas how long this will last??