how much methadone kills pain in people with chronic pain as from several back surferies and how it can also hurt us? 

Hi free birds, I'd like to start by saying that really only a doctor can decide how much or how little methadone you need for your pain relief, and what is a safe dose for your body. As for how it can hurt you, with any medication, there are possible side effects. I researched them for you and this is what I found. Methadone has caused very serious (possibly fatal) breathing problems & heart rythym problems (QT prolongation in the EKG, torsades de pointes) also dizziness and fainting.This drug may also cause withdrawl symptoms, restlessness, watery eyes, widened pupils, sweating, runny nose, nausea, vomiting, constipation, dry mouth, drowsiness, and upset stomach. This drug, as with any, has to be used exactly as prescribed and under close supervision of a doctor. I hope this helped. Good luck.

thank you this is some stuff i did not no about it's kind of you to go and research this topic it's such a touchy one and you did well on answers' im also doing a lot of research on this because she is trying morphine instead it seems shed' be better on the methadone also she has had several back surguries and a steel cage in her spine all 12 pds it's not easy but she is not lone and any support i get is great thank's again joe in boston.

you're very welcome Joe in Boston, have you maybe looked into a pain management doctor in your area? They are very well trained in knowing what the newest and best treatments are for people with chronic pain. It might be worth getting in touch with one. Plus, if she should ever want to change meds, she could be weaned off of the one she is currently using in a safe and controlled manner. (just thought I'd mention that because some people are not aware that just stopping a narcotic pain killer can be extremely dangerous, your body must be weaned off of it.) Good luck to you both.