Hello there! I am one of the lucky guys who firmly decided to get off the heroin and am planning to stick to the idea. However as I had been a heroin addict for over 4 years….I was prescribed Methadone to ease my heroin withdrawal effects.
Can anybody tell me what I could expect from the methadone? Does anybody know what I am going through? All replies R welcome!!!

Hi there! Yes, I know how you feel cos I have been through this horror with my husband. He was getting off heroin when we started dating and he was using methadone. I think that methadone is medically safe for long – term use, and that there should not be no adverse reactions to the heart, lungs, liver, kidneys, bones, blood, brain, or other vital body organs. It shouldn’t either produce any serious effects but my husband did, however, have changes in libido. We have been married for 10 years now and we have a lovely daughter!
I hope everything works out just fine for you! Good luck!!!

I am proud to hear that you have made the decision. I have taken many medications for pain management (fentanyl, methadone, oxycontin, amphetamines, etc.), and I have gone off twice, and I am on my third bout (second time with narcotics). I have a thorough reply which explains your options (pros and cons), and tells you what I have gone through--in that, this is not hearsay. Best of luck and you are half way there (read below to understand why making that decision is so pertinent to your success)!

---

I will warn you, the reader, of this post. I will attempt to respond to the original poster’s question, regarding their husband’s withdrawals, as they pertain to Methadone and Oxycodone. In order for me to be successful, I must be thorough, but first, I see it as a requisite to give a history of me and my battle with major medical problems, so that you can see that I have been there—not once, not twice, but I am going through it for a third time (twice for narcotics), as I type. I find the typing therapeutic and helpful for me, because right now, I am running a fever, tremmoring, sweating, freezing, my stomach is cramping, my bladder is always full (or at least it feels that way), aches and pains from hell (welcome back to the real world muscles!), and I have not been able to sleep for nearly one month for more than two hours straight!

I was struck by a drunk driver back in college more than seven years ago. I have also been diagnosed with several deadly and debilitating diseases (not from the auto accident), which exacerbate my withdrawal symptoms, as well as the pain I experience as a normal part of life. Simply—I have significant spinal cord damage—and I have had many outpatient surgeries to alleviate the pain, and one inpatient surgery that nearly killed me (literally!); and finally, they want to operate again!

I have taken almost everything, including amphetamines for the pain, but this was easy to come off, compared to the narcotics. I have detoxed on three things in my short life: amphetamines (legal), Methadone (legal), and Oxycodone (legal). The most difficult was Methadone and it was done with the support of my pain management doctor(s), despite the fact that they didn’t want me to get off of the narcotics, because they knew I would be back on the narcotics. Well, they were correct, but it was worth it! I was off of them for about eight months, which was just awesome. Now, in the mean time, I would take low-dose Oxycodone for breakthrough pain, but I did not experience withdrawal (at all), because it was occasional dosing.

Unfortunately, the doctors were correct, and within eight months, I was back on to chronic narcotic dosing, which has been the case now for more than two and half years. In the last three months, I have been able to slowly get back in shape (before the accident I was running five miles in just under 25 minutes, and my muscles were in tip-top shape) by losing 45 pounds, to the point that I can run two miles in less than 18 minutes, I have gained more than 20 pounds of muscle, and I have dropped my body fat by more than 20 points! As a result, I am not in as much pain—don’t get me wrong, there are days (each week) that I cannot walk without assistance, but I believe that I can come back off the chronic dosing, at least for another eight months.

At this point in time, I have moved from a high dose of Morphine (ER), which I cut in half (cold turkey), to Oxycodone, BUT I had family with me to ensure that I was okay—in that, I was breathing. From there, I have slowly moved down 5mg every two days on Oxycodone. I am at 25 mg of Oxycodone per day, but I am to the point where I will need to go cold turkey from here on out. READ the Oxycodone section below to see why this is the case. However, I will sit at 25mg per day for 10 days before going cold turkey on the remaining 25 mg, to ensure that my body’s serum levels are at a constant plateau. IMPORTANT: It can take up to six months for your body’s serum level of 25 mg per day to sit at 25 mg per day, but after day 10, it is close enough for government work.

So, why the hell am I spending the time, energy and discomfort (okay, pain) to come off of the medication, just to go back on it? Well, I want to work again, and being that I have been on disability three times, my career gets going (moving to mid-level management within Fortune 100 companies, and I am very young) and then bam! I lose everything, and the medications prevent me from being successful. So, you’re damn right—it is very worth it, and I would do it several times a year, just to be SANE for two months! Why else are you reading this? Because you feel similarly, for whatever reason(s) you may have.

METHADONE--
Methadone is considered more difficult to get off, because the withdrawal symptoms are more difficult than even heroin. The reason for this is because of the synthetic opiates' storage in your tissue--and more importantly, the half-life of Methadone is (on average) 25 hours (13-47 hours), with peak absorption in 4 hours. However, Methadone lasts for approximately 25 hours for the average patient, BUT there are a few of us who have taken it every 8 hours to reduce the amount of Methadone needed (for pain management), by reducing the zig-zag effect of depleting and replenishment of Methadone within our tissues.

As a result, Methadone patients may not experience many withdrawal symptoms for 24-48 hours after their last dose. [Everyone is different]. After 48 hours, the symptoms of withdrawal will peak within 7-10 days and begin to lessen over the next 7-14 days; however, it depends on a number of variables: how long the patient was taking Methadone; the amount the patient was taking; how quickly the patient has chosen (or been forced) to detox; what the last amount—with respect to the patient’s peak dosage—was; a person’s weight (especially if the patient has experienced quick weight gain, because more Methadone will be stored in your tissues with less blood absorption); age; etc.

The symptoms of withdrawal, and the severity of the symptoms, depend on the variables above; but, and most importantly, it depends on the patients state-of-mind and preparation for detoxification. Most patients do not realize that there are two types of cravings—mental addiction and physical dependency. If a patient is on the Methadone for medicinal reasons, it will be easier for the patient to recover from the withdrawal symptoms, but if the patient has a mental addiction, the patient will be faced with craving to withdraw and take the Methadone as an out. Fortunately, Methadone does not have the same level of euphoria as do other chemical compounds, but nonetheless, it is still significant enough in the patient’s mind that it may not matter the chemical side.

Before covering the symptoms of withdrawal, it is important to point out one last key component of Methadone—in that, it mimics the level of peptides—such as, Endorphins, Enkephalines, and Dynorphins, which causes the brain to assume that your ARTIFICIAL level of good feeling is required for normal life functioning. As a result, the most difficult withdrawal is a MENTAL withdrawal that your brain feels you need in order to survive. This is affectionately referred to as “cravings.” These cravings WILL FORCE most patients into taking Methadone, because the cravings are too intense; hence, most professionals recommend that you seek professional help (detoxification center), so that they may monitor you for your health and to give you the support needed to NOT GIVE IN to the CRAVINGS! (IMPORTANT NOTE: I almost died coming off of my Methadone too quickly, because I wanted to show myself that I could do it as long as I WANTED to. I was wrong! I seized, and I was VERY lucky that my family was with me at the time, because the doctors had to resuscitate me and push Methadone into me to prevent an immanent heart attack. Don’t be foolish, we know you are mentally strong, why else would you be interested in reading this? Be alive to live your life after this necessary evil—PLEASE!!!)

So, what are the symptoms? Here you go! Sneezing, yawning, tearing of eyes, runny nose, excessive perspiration (cold sweats and hot sweats, especially at night), fever, dilated pupils, abdominal cramps, nausea, body aches, tremors, irritability, not to be morbid, but even death in extreme cases. Finally, sleep is your best friend during withdrawals, BUT you will find it next to impossible to sleep. I recommend taking 25-50 mg of Dyphenhydramine (Benadryl), but NOTHING ELSE! You don’t want to exchange one craving today with another craving in two months, once you are beginning to see the other side of the tunnel. (IMPORTANT: Benadryl SHOULD NEVER BE ingested in amounts greater than 50 mg every 4-6 hours, and no more than 8 pills per 24 hours, because of severe respiratory concerns. Muscle relaxants can assist (for many reasons), but again—be reasonable; DRINK lots of WATER; ensure that you get your electrolytes (banana a day, Gatorade); Ensure or Boost are excellent meal replacements, because you will lose your appetite; and make certain that you take care of your hygiene (shower, brush your teeth, put on comfortable, but NOT bedtime clothes for mental effectiveness). Lastly, there are medications (Clonidine, for example) that MAY significantly assist you while you detoxify, but reports of significant exhaustion and tiredness may make it worse, not to mention the fact that it will lower your blood pressure. I have chosen not to go this route, because the ‘cravings’ are psychological and I can beat it in my mind—‘mind over matter.’

OXYCODONE--
Oxycodone (OxyContin, Percocet, Endocet, Percodin, etc.) is easier and more difficult to detox off of, because of one major simple reason—it is a short-acting chemical compound. Methadone is longer acting (as discussed above), but the good thing behind Methadone is that you may titrate down at any milligram increment fairly easily, especially in liquid or IV (intravenous), SC (subcutaneous) form (full disclosure, mine has either been IV or pill form, however), but the Methadone is a compound that creates a MUCH STRONGER craving. The Oxycodone, especially in capsule form is more difficult at the end, in the sense, that 25 mg per day is the lowest amount the patient may titrate to before going cold turkey. (Yes—you may break the capsule open and try to figure out what half is, but at that point, and if you are really concerned, then you will need to work with your doctor(s) to use a different narcotic or delivery method.)

The reason is that Oxycodone has a half-life of 4-6 hours, which means that if you take 25 mg divided by 5 mg (each capsule) it equals 5 doses. There are 24 hours per day, so divide the 24 hours (in a day) by 5 (doses of 5 mg per dose) and you get 5 mg of Oxycodone every 5 hours, which is the median of 4 and 6 hours. Some of you smart-ones are reading this going, well, if it is 6 hours for me then I can drop to 20 mg per day before going cold turkey. You are correct, but the point is that if you spread your doses out more than 6 hours, you will certainly begin detoxing; and hence, you would start the withdrawals, especially since Oxycodone is a short-acting chemical compound.

The good side of the coin is that the withdrawal symptoms, ceteris paribus (all things remaining equal), for Oxycodone withdrawal symptoms are less intense. The withdrawal symptoms begin 4-6 hours after your last dose of Oxycodone and peak between 36 and 72 hours. You will likely notice moderate to severe symptoms for up to 7 days, moderate symptoms for up to another 7 days (14 days so far), mild symptoms for another 2 weeks after this (28 days), and various very mild symptoms for up to 5 months after the first month (if you even notice them).

Does it suck? Yes! BUT it is worth it, and I commend all of you for making the decision to go through the detoxification, REGARDLESS of the reason that you are on the medication. DON’T be ashamed that you are dependent (even if you are addicted). If, and only if, your doctor (I recommend receiving at least one more opinion, because there are non-narcotic medications that may help either reduce the level of narcotics or eliminate the narcotics altogether) recommends that you go back on narcotics, and you feel that it is the last resort, then DON’T be ashamed, either. Think of the trade-offs and which trade-off will give you the best QUALITY OF LIFE!

Be sure that you prepare your closest friends and family for what will come…ask them to read this; and understand that the vast majority of the withdrawals are the cravings, which is good, because it is mental, BUT don’t be stupid like I was—they want you alive. Read everything that you can, don’t abuse sleeping medication, or you will then need to detox off of the sleeping medication after the narcotics. Tell yourself that you can do it, and think about how proud you will be once you have completed it, and how appreciative you will feel, and how proud your family and friends will be. LIFE IS GRAND!!! I have been shot at, I have had a knife to my throat, I have broken more than 30 bones, I have worked 40-60 hours per week while taking 18 credits in school (to pay for school), etc., you get the point. I AM JUST LIKE YOU!!! We worked so damn hard to get where we are, this is a small fourteener, NOT Mt. EVEREST! You PREPARE hard for this, and when the time comes, you stick it out, and I assure you that you will be prouder than the time you worked for 265 straight days, just to get your diploma! I know I was!!! TRIUMPH and SUCCEED!!!

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU, YOUR FAMILY AND YOUR FRIENDS, because all of you are in this journey together!!!

Hi, I was reading your reply and you do sound like you have been there, here is my problem. I have been on oxycotin, lortab. morphine, patch and now methadone for over 5 yrs. I have chronic pain due to severe fibromyalgia, cfs, and nerve pain in my legs due to back problems plus the back pain. Never went thru any withdrawl probably because I was always given another drug to go on. Always due to insurance reasons when I had to switch drugs, everytime the drug I was on got in the paper as being used by addicts the ins companys would no longer cover it. I did good on oxycotin, hated morphine, liked the patch and lortab was fine but got were it did nothing for my back and leg pain. I have never done drugs growing up and was terrified to start but my pain was controling me and my life, could barely walk and got crazy with my leg pain, thought about cutting them off just to get rid of the pain so my choice was drugs or suicide. I can now do most of my chores but no social life as I have about 5 hrs a day of energy and have to choose what to use it on, my husband is on constant oxygen due to lung disease and my elderly mom lives next door and has been slowly getting dementia so I am the only one who can help with dr appts etc. I am getting ready to go to pain managment again as my primary dr has been giving me my methadone due to the closest clinic being too far for me to drive, they now have more closer ones. She is the one who put me on methadone, I now havwe my SSD so have more choices on medication. My neuro has started giving me trigger point injections and they really do help my legs, my question is I really want to get off the methadone and if I need a pain drug try something else, Methadone is the best as far as pain control but I have never liked the way it made me feel. Its like it sucked the spirit right out of me, I have no feelings for things I used to care about and seems to make depression worse plus had to take provigil because the drowsiness from methadone was so bad I couldn't even read a book with out dozing off right away. I am so scared of the withdrawl, what do you suggest as an alternative pain control drug? I have never abused my drugs and usually take less than prescribed, I should take 10mg of methadone 3 x day but I only take two unless pain is very bad. I have been on this dosage for about year and a half. THe one pain clinic prescribed more methadone and xanax my second visit and I refused the higher dose and bottle of xanax sits unused in my cabinet. Sorry so long but I really don't trust the clinics, some seem like they try to get you hooked just so they can stay in business? Any reply would be appreciated. Trish

I recently found out that my 17 year old daughter has been using methadone.I don't know how much or how oftern.I only know of 2 times for sure that she's used.The last time I know of was 3 days ago.
She said she hasn't done it but 2 or 3 times.How do I know if she has a problem and if she needs to go to rehab?
Last week she was sick and I took her to the doctors and they tok some blood and said it was a viral infection.She was vomiting and sleeping alot and her body was achey and her stomache crampy.Could this have been withdrawal symptoms?

I don't know what to do................Any advice or suggestions?

I recently found out my 17 year old daughter has been using methadone.
I only know of 2 times for sure.She says she hasn't done it more than 3 or 4 times.How do I know if she is addicted?Last week she missed almost a wholw week of school.The doctor said it was a viral infection.I am wondering if it was withdrawal.She was achy,her stomache cramped and she was vomiting every time she ate or drank anything.Then 3 days ago I found 3/4 of a big white round methadone tablet in her purse.She had done a 1/4 of it on Monday.I have her cell phone and car keys.

How do I know if she is addicted?What should I do?

Why you must be a very worried mother.
The reason i'm writting this response is that i'm 19 and forcing myself off of the drug as we speak. I'm smack dab in the middle of the withdrawels and was looking for more information on the internet.

I started when I was 17, but f**k 1/4 of a pill... I was up to 4 in the morning, and later i added one before i went to bed.... I think thats about 50 mg. Your daughter right now, can not be taking more than 2.5 mg. The biggest white Methadone is 10 mg. My friends grandma takes 80 mg a day, perscribed. So, I wouldn't worry too much if she is only taking 2.5 mg. It does nothing for you, it's a slight high and a refresh in the morning like coffee is to you. She may still be addicted, in fact i don't doubt she is. But does she have her lifr under controll? Dies she have good grades? She may have been addicted hardcore and you missed it. She may have spent a year getting down to 2 mg. She may be fighting a hard fight....

So my point is... She's not in a really bad place with her addiction, but she is addicted still.

If she does have a bigger addiction then worry...

But regardless, she has methadone.... GET HER OFF! Except, from a child's point of view... let her realize that you respect her fighting an addiction "if sh has one" and you want to help her... don't judge, dont threaten, dont yell.... Just let her know you care and wont judge her, and that you will be here next to her in the fight. After it's done.... she has fought off one of the hardest drugs there is to get off of....
Respect her and let it go.

Um, sorry, but if it was a big white pill, it's 40mg, not 10mg! the small white pills are only 10mg. If it was a large white wafer that can be quartered, it's 40 mg. Unfortunately, I'm attempting to detox now off of methadone, been in the clinic for 4 yrs., and have bought from street. I've gotten prescriptions for the 40mg wafer, and depending upon which pharmacy i've gone to, they were either orange, or white like you've described. Either way, tell her to stay away. It's easier to come off of heroin than methadone. I've exchanged one hell for another....
paying for it.

I was on Methadone for over 10 years. You must be VERY careful.Methadone is just as addictive as heroin, will get you very high, and it is EASY to find yourself scrambling for "extra" methadone. If this happens, and it does to MANY people, your just riding another version of the horse you just got off. My suggestion is to find your theraputic dose as fast as you are able, and WATCH yourself. If you find yourself wanting more methadone, go to your clinic and get your dose adjusted by the rules. Additionally, for many people, a tolerance develops, as it does, your dose must be adjusted upwards. I've known of people taking over 700 mg daily. Thast's a dose strong enough to kill a slew of people who are not adjusted. Be VERY VERY careful. It can help; however, it is no joke and a very serious and powerful medication. If you are taking it to get a buzz, stop now while you can. It should only be used by people who are genuinely SICK of being an addict to herion and want no part of another ride on a different drug.

I have been on 130 mgs of methadone for 2&1/4 yrs. I went cold turkey four days ago and I havent experienced much of a KICK besides intense hot and cold falshes.For me its been nothing like the nightmareish,hellish stories I have heard,thank god! For me its nothing much like kicking a heroin or oxy habbit.I guess what I am saying is the kick will vary according to the individual,its seems to be different for everyone?

700mg !?! I don't think so, must have been a type-o! Or some id**t was lying to you about their dose. Someone on 700mg a day would not be talking... seeing... breathing...

I'm on 225mg/day and that is close to the highest the clinic will prescribe most people. But 700mg!!! If this is true, then a doctor/clinic/and/or pharmacy need to be held responsible for stupidity or trying to kill someone! Craziness.

get off now.no joke.get off now.

get a methadone home test.And tuff love.

My partner has been on methadone for over 35 years. Goes to a dispensary and gets 1 month of methadone from them. The clinic has him on 80 mgs. 1x a day. He put himself on methadone 35 years ago for a heroin habit. Now I find out he is buying illegal methadone 10 mg pills, I have no idea how many he is taking along with the 80 mg. He is buying these pills often. I am VERY nervous and concerned because he gets into such deep sleeps that it scares me. He also takes Provigil and Nuvigil for a sleep disorder. HELP!!!!