ok....I go to the methadone clinic, I have been going for almost 2 years. I got married last August & we wanted a baby so I talked to my counslor @ the methadone clinic about me gettting pregnant on methadone & she said it was totally fine that methadone is ok for pregnant women. So Im pregnant now and I am on 130 MG of methadone a day I've been on that dose for a little over a year. Im about 1 1/2 - 2 months pregnant. I'm hearing all different kinds of stuff about being pregnant while on methadone. 1st of all will DSS take my baby if it comes out addicted to methadone? & 2nd I'm SCARED TO DEATH my baby will have BAD withdrawl's since Im on such a high dose. I want to quit taking methadone SO BAD but I know I can't since I'm pregnant. So now what do I do?? I DONT want my baby to withdrawl from it when Its born. I cry everytime I think about it comming out & having withdrawls from something I did. HELP ME!!! I NEED ADVISE ASAP!!!

my name is montanna and im 23 and have been on methadone for about a year and i am now almost 3 months pregnant.I also talked to my methadone doctor and he said the same thing that it is fine also that if i decide to breastfeed that it is ok as wel because if the baby is addicted that they would only get a little bit of the methadone and that when you wean them off at about 6 months they are getting weined off at the same time.Also if you aren't going to breastfeed and the baby is addicted the baby will just have to stay in for a week adn they can get a morphine drip which weins them off

I, too am on methadone and oxycodone and recently discovered i am 2 months pregnant. I suffer from Fibromylagia & my MD tells me that this is fine for me and the child. The baby will be in the N-ICU for 1 week following birth to wean but after that will come home. There are a slight chance of birth defects but also, these increase in the 6 month. so, wean yourself down to the smallest amount possible by the 6th month. use this, as i am, as a miracle and a gift given to us to better our lives for good. somiethimes we all need that extra push to do whats best for us.

I am currently a little over 6 weeks pregnant and I am also going to a Methadone Clinic.I have 3 boys.My oldest is 13.My middle one is 10.And my youngest is 3.I started going to the clinic 3 years ago when I was pregnant with my youngest.The reason I started going to the clinic was because I was on Lortab for back pain and knee pain.When I got pregnant with my 3 year old they told me Lortab was not safe for the baby and they told me to go to the clinic.I have been there since then.I wasnt taking anything with my two oldest boys.I had heard all kinds of bad things about taking Methadone while pregnant.I was for sure something bad was going to happen to the baby.My baby came out just fine(besides I had to have a C-section for the first time.)I dont know if the C-section was caused because I was on the Methadone or not?????We did have to wean him off the meds.It all depends on where you live as to how they handle everything.Where I live the doctors let you go home with your baby as soon as the mother is released from the hospital.The mother will then be responsible for weaning her baby.The doctor will give you Methadone.(Its a different color than the methadone adults take,I think it has vitamins and other stuff in it)You will have a little dropper to give the baby his methadone.Then every few days you slowly decrease it.The baby only gets a little bit.About an hour away from where I live they keep your baby for months at a time weaning them off the Methadone.So its different everywhere you go.But anyways my baby came out just fine.He is a very healthy 3 year old that is getting ready to start Pre school on the 31st.I am pregnant again and this will be my last baby.Im getting fixed after I have this one.The clinic I go to has parenting meetings you have to attend every Wednesday of the week.If you go to the meetings and have clean urine drops than you dont have to pay to go to the clinic.Oh and I also wanted to say that I have never seen any babies takin away cause the mother is on Methadone.The only way you will have your baby takin away is if you are on all kinds of other drugs with the Methadone.So good luck to everyone!!!!!!!!

my sister had a baby this year on methadone. Saddest thing I ever saw.
He was born on time and thankfully no defects (whoever said they happen at 6mo gestation may be wrong, because the baby is fully formed in the first trimester).. however, soon after birth he began having seizures. He stayed in NICU for 2 weeks to be weaned and had many seizures.
the department of children and families had to be notified and while she got to keep her baby, they make regular visits to her home to make sure all is ok.
If you can get off now, do it for your baby. Personally, i think it's great you went on it to get off of other stuff to have a baby, but you shouldnt have conceived until you were off the meth too.
Your baby doesnt deserve to come into the world this way.

You dont know what you are talking about.To say my baby doesnt deserve to come into this world?We are getting help for our problems.Im taking prenatal vitamins,parenting classes and I have meetings with a councelor all the time.I dont know where your sister is from but Welfare doesnt get involved unless you are taking other things with the Methadone or you are doing other things wrong.Your sister must of been doing all kinds of things.Yes Im not sitting on here saying its the best thing for the baby to be on Methadone.I wish I wasnt on anything.But I am getting help for my problem.It is very hard to get off the Methadone.If I could just stop tomorrow I would,BUT I CANT!!!!!!!!!I take very good care of all my children and just because I am on Methadone doesnt mean I love my children and less than anyone else!!!!!!!!SO GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE WOMAN OUT THERE GETTING HELP FOR THEIR PROBLEM!!!!!

I can understand were it would be extremely hard to stop! I use to pop pills and smoke weed. I'm now 20 weeks pregnant and I've stopped taking pills but still smoke. No matter what drug it is it will be hard to stop because it's a habit. A habit is made by repeating the same thing at least 21 times than your mind just gets stuck on feeling like you NEED It. It was very hard 2 stop with pills but everyday I kept telling myself I didn't need it. I'm currently fighting my other habit.. My problem 2 is california has made it legal so I feel like it is not that bad. I think it's all in the mind though. I have completed 3 years of nursing school and from what I've learned about our brain.. This is what I come to. Our babies don't deserve to be born with withdrawls I agree it's sad and I cry too. I just think we need help to get off of the drugs because I don't want my kid to grow up and think that's okay. I don't want my child to live that lifestyle... It's up to you if you mind your child knowing or not. Because that's a secret you can't hide forever..

are you guys kidding me??!! yes you dumbass bringing a baby into this world isnt only wrong its selfish and you should be ashamed of yourself. My sister brought one baby into the world on methadone and i understood the first time because she was addicted to pain pills at 4 months pregnant and had to get off, now 3 years later still going to the clinic and pregnant again and what do you know still on methadone. I am so sorry for her baby and any baby who has to go through what i saw my niece go through 3 years ago. withdraws in the hospital for 10 days shaking, seizures, on methadone for 3 months coming down with smaller doses. how selfish can a human being be. do it to yourself fine but your baby grow up and deal with your addiction the right way. no you cant quit in one day and withdraw yes it will hurt the baby but get ahold of yourself tell your doctor you want to come off like a responsible mother would and lower your dose slowly so your not sick and by the time the baby comes you will be off and you wont have a baby born into the world addicted to another drug with an addictive personality for the rest of his or her life. I am trying now to get my sister to stop thats why im on this site. she keeps feeding me BS like my doctor said it will kill the baby well guess what dumbass im pregnant too and ive spoken with my doctor about this. oh my goodness all i can do is pray for my niece or nephew coming into this world because i have a mindless no good sister who only cares about her habits and waking up every morning at 6am to rush to the clinic to get her daily dose. this is not directed towards the person who wrote the original post but towards anyone on methadone and pregnant. bring your baby into the world right and maybe you shouldnt get pregnant on methadone in the first place because no drug is okay to do pregnant if your baby has to be in the hospital for more than 2 days or come off of any drug and go through withdraws so i dont want to hear it. praying for the babies brought into this world not asking for what they unwillingly have to go through. :''(

WELL IT SOUNDS TO ME LIKE UR SISTER WAS USING OTHER THINGS BECAUSE METHADONE IS 100% SAFE TO TAKE WHILE PREGNANT. LEARN ALL THE FACTS BEFORE U START CRITICIZING OTHER PEOPLE STUPID b***h.

Hello. I'm on here today because I am desperate for info on women who take methadone while pregnant. This is my first pregnancy, I'm 7 weeks and I have been taking methadone for about 3 months now. I was taking Norco for the last 5 years for horrible back and neck issues. Recently my doctor decided to add Methadone to the mix. I am on a very low dosage (5mg.) and I have decided to stop taking norco all together. When I found out I was pregnant I was taking 8-12 norco, and 2-4 methadone pills a day. I chose to wean myself off of both of them much faster than my doctor wanted me to. Currently I am down to 2.5mg of methadone once a day. I have been online almost everyday looking for information on the effects of these drugs on the baby, but I'm getting so many mixed reviews. Some say its ok to take it while pregnant, while others say absolutely not! I'm so confused and scared that I could potentially be hurting my unborn child. But at the same time, I don't want to risk losing my baby either. Does anyone know of a reputable website I can go to? Thank you :)

1st of all, have you ever been addicted to anything? Probably not. It's not that easy to just stop! You need to stop judging everyone and start reaLizing that not everyone is as "perfect"as you are. People make mistakes, and as much as they hate it, they have to deal with it! I am on methadone and I hate it! But its better than the alternative. That's why we have methadone. If it wasnt ok then it wouldn't be legal! you need to get off your high horse and realize that there are people out there that have made some mistakes but that doesn't mean that you are better than them! The reason that we take methadone is that we want a better life and we are doing something about it! When you have been addicted to something as bad as heroin then maybe you
would realize how hard it is. Until then, you have no idea, so don't judge! ! !

you can NOT wean yourself off of the methadone WHILE you are pregnant, once youre on methadone and youre pregnant, you HAVE to keep taking it until the baby is born! we have NO choice to get off of methadone while we are pregnant, believe me if we did i wouldnt be on this, anyways.. you can NOT get off of methadone while you are pregnant, it can kill the baby that is why i am still on the medication. you can wean yourself down.. but you cant wean yourself off. at all. obviously you do not know what you are talking about if youre going to sit here and say this. yeah some women are on methadone and are on 190 mg and when the baby is born will have to stay in the hospital for a little while. but babies that are born with seizures is b/c the mother was either taking A LOT of pain killers or taking other medication with the pain killers. i am only on 15 mg's of methadone. and my child wont even be in the hospital but a couple of weeks or month at the most. also my child is 100% healthy, so before you come on here saying stuff what you THINK you know, get your facts straight and do some research before you look like an id**t.

MoMmYoF3 wrote:

Quote:

stupid stupid people taking methadone while pregnant! my sister was 32wks pregnant due on feb. 22nd we received a call on new yrs eve from my sister at the hospital crying saying she lost the baby.we rushed over and they had to induce her and her go thru a horrible painful delivery didnt know what had happened and a nurse said they found methadone in her blood. this by far was the saddest thing we have ever been thru and holding my beautiful niece and to think we lost her cause of that. im forever affected by this, my niece couldve been here with us today and healthy. be smart people please!

You can week yourself off of methadone while pregnant! I am living proof of that. I am a chronic pain patient and was prescribed 20 mgs a day + 60 mgs of norcos 10/325 a day when I found out I was pregnant. I came ff of the methadone quite fast, I was 7 weeks when i started and its really hard but think of the baby. I went from 20 mgs to 15 the next day, to 10 the 3rd day to 5 on the fourth day, 2.5 in the morning to 2.5 at night, I continued to take the norcos and came off of those when my body adjusted without the methadone. I did it quit fast considering but I was anxious to be done with it. I don't suggest you quit cold turkey, that could cause miscarriage but you do have the power. I'm 40, never thought I would have another child but here it is. With the withdrawal symptoms you will feel will only be harsh for a few days and you will see light at the end of the tunnel. If you wait to even come off of a short acting opiate like Vicodin later in pregnancy, its going to be really hard on you and the baby. You might not be able to eat and the baby needs nourishment. Just trust me, the earlier you can do this the better on both of you. Don't wait, don't let the baby go through withdrawals when its born, you and the hospital staff will be upset. The baby didn't ask to be here so don't put it through that. If you are pregnant and addicted to any kind of opiate, seen down as soon as you can. Good luck and God bless!!

advice needed!!! hello I am 8 1/2 weeks preggo, with my 2nd child. (first born 6 years old, was not on methadone) now i have been on 20 mg of methadone for about 1 year. I have tried to stop before and after 2 days, i start getting violently ill! even tho my dose is so low??? I have a CAREER that I can not miss work due to w/d. I do not have a perscription, I have been obtaining the meds from others who sell them..... my concern is that no one really knows that I ghave been taking methadone. ESPECIALLY my b/f. so I have tapered from 20MG a day to 10 Mg a day NOW finally at 5 mg a day. so starting tomarrow I will be on 2.5 mg daily for 1 week, then I plan on stopping after that. I am on this forum basically for 2 questions. #1). I shouldnt w/d too bad from sucj a low dose right? & #2). there is no way that methadone would still be in my system in 7 MONTHS right? I read online that it is detectable for about 30 days at the most due to the life span of the drug. I guess im probably over stressing out, bcuz when I read the other foruoms, people are on alot higher of a dose than me.