i have a son aged12 but have been unable to conceive ever since.  I have been diagnosed with unexplained infertility, please help. i am on 35 mls of methadone a day for the last 12 years as a former heroine user.

Hello, It seems as though we are in a similar situation.  I am on 35 mgs of methadone daily for spinal injury and I currently have a 7 year old boy.  We have been trying to conceive for over a year now to no avail.  My sperm counts are from 49 million per ml to 189 million per ml, which is not the problem, I have low motility, poor sperm quality, and my volume is only 1ml.  To make matters worse, I have little to no fsh(sex hormone essential to sperm production) and only a small amount of testosterone.  We have no genetic issues with male fertility and no other indication this is something other than methadone.  My first idea was to lower the dose of methadone, which is not easy, and to hope hormone injections would work.  The doctor put me on hcg which made my testosterone numbers go through the roof.  This increased my drive also, which I know from experience you must have little of.  It did not help my sperm motility, sperm quality, and hormone production, because my fsh went down even further.  The bottom line is the doc said he had never seen this before and never had a methadone patient and felt we just can't get pregnant because I am infertile.  Well, that pissed me off, not necessarily the doctor, the situation, and I said, BS!  I know my body, I come from a family of 9 and my brother, uncles, etc. all have huge families and get wifes pregnant into 40s.  My first baby was at 38 and we got pregnant the first month!  I was so motivated, I stopped the methadone that day!  It has been going on 5 days and the withdrawal is next to none.  Don’t get me wrong, it is not the easiest thing to do, but it is not the hell it is said to be.  I have some magic supplements and vitamins to recommend so  you will have little to no withdrawal so please do email and tell you how it is done if you decide to quit!  I came off a 130 mgs daily methadone dose after 3 months 8 years ago and it was harder but this time I stabilized my dose and guit at 35mgs a day.  Most docs say tapering only works down from high doses to about where you and I are 35 to 45 taking into account you are doing the liquid.  Look, I do not know you but I guarantee your infertility is directly related to your methadone use.  If you take methadone for a year or 2 in a relatively low dose like yours, it is possible to not  have infertility issues but going on 12 years, you are doomed until you quit-with your fertility that is.  The meth is processed in the HPA axis of the brain, basically the hypothalamus.  Every chronic methadone user is eventually unable to produce sex hormones.  Let's face it, meth f-s up every neurotransmitter, hormone and "good chemical" that your brain produces for pleasure and sense of wellbeing.  If you want a child you need to either stop methadone or go IVF if you have 10 grand.  I decided to quit methadone.  Strangely enough, my brain is rebounding and the natural painkillers my brain produces are coming back and I am pain free for going on 5 days of no methadone.  There is little to no information online regarding this topic and it is important to note, methadone does not cause permanent damage, you will rebound.  It will take 4 to 8 weeks but it will happen.  I will update in 2 months as my numbers go up-which they are already.  I guarantee we will be pregnant in the next 8 to 12 months, hopefully sooner!  Please, if you have any questions feel free to ask, I want to help.  Methadone serves its purpose but it outwears its welcome!  Also, great job staying sober for 12 years my friend! 

Hello edjo48! I am interested in learning more about the magic supplements and vitamins you used to get off your high dose of meth. My husband currently takes 110mg a day for chronic pain and has been doing so for almost a year now. We have been TTC our second child for 7 months now and have had no luck. Like you, we got pregnant with our first child in 2 months (before he was on methadone). We have not had his sperm analyzed, but I have a feeling it is the culprit here.  ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Hi nanalynn76 , I will do my best to answer your questions.  Methadone's effects on the body were studied at the cellular level in the gastrointestinal region of patients.  It was found that all chronic methadone patients' cells in that area had become defective with little to no motility.  The obvious direct conlusion was that the methdone changed motlity in a negative way.  Another likely assumption, when taking into account other studies, is that overall, methadone degrades motililty in most other human cells=this is my theory so take it with a grain of salt.  When I was tested while taking methadone, I had enough sperm but a large quantity of the sperm I did have just became ineffective with little to no motility.  I am happy to say that I am 26 days into my cold turkey methadone drop and I feel the improvement!! I am not getting my count checked for a while but my overall drive is back. I cannot believe to have gotten this far.  There are some things I did use that assisted the first stages of withdrawal.  I used an herbal powder called kratom which can be googled for dosage, effects and if looking to purchase, also it is legal in the USA.  I had almost no withdrawal when taking kratom, I  no longer need it,  but if your husband is still at 110 mgs of meth, he will need to take quite a bit a day to get relief so have him taper with the aid of a doctor for a while before starting kratom. I was never on too high a dose of methadone, started about 60mgs and got down to 30 mgs when quitting c.t..  Methadone withdrawal can be brutal especially when at high doses-in reality, it is always difficult at any dose.  Kratrom is said to be opiate like, although it is alkaloid based without the lsd type of effects seen in alk based substances. There are many articles where people claim to use kratom to sucessfully quit methadone with little to no withdrawal.  I think kratom bonded to some of my opiate receptors removing all withdrawal and restless legs while at the same time, freeing up the receptors that the methadone bonds to thus giving them time to recover.  There are some who will take kratom for 3 to 6 weeks after quitting methadone cold turkey to avoid withdrawal all together, please look up the many articles on this topic. I made sure that I did not take too much kratom for too long because I worried about withdrawl from that.  I did have to take Immodium a.d./loperamide for stomach issues and tramadol for restless legs a couple nights here and there.  To me, the restless legs and arms were terrible and simply the worst to go through but it can be done.  They will go on for a while after the first stage of withdrawal.  I slept on our couch a few night because of it.  I would not wish methadone withdrawal on my worst enemy.  If your husband does quit, which I encourage him to, he has a lot of work ahead of him, but it can be done.  Many claim that certain amino acids help along with a good daily vitamin, plus emergen-c. I use all of these and I am sure they are getting my brain straight.  I hope this helps and feel free to ask more questions, I am not an expert but have a lot of experience in this area unfortunately.  I am here for you guys!  Good luck!!    

Did your numbers go up? I have been on methadone for 8 years and can't get my girlfriend pregnant. I am gonna stop the methadone hoping it will fix the problem. Did it work for you?

I came off of methdome with no withdraw using KRADOM.. I was on 90 mg for two years i havent had no methdome in 30 days. I feel normal and no pain KRADOM knocks all of it out!! Ive never been so shocked in my life.. I have been on some kind pain med for 12 years..

Hi... what supplements and vitamins were you takine?