my cuz just had a baby, she was heavily mixing methadone with xanax during her entire pregnancy. She never even went to her doctor. The baby weighs jsut 5 pounds, dhr stepped in and my aunt will be taking the baby. IF someone knows what to expect or has any helpful info, please let me know. Thanks

hi, the first priority of the doctors will be to ensure that the baby does not withdraw too quickly if it is dependant, the detox will have to be very closely supervised - this is usually done as an in-patient under a specialist. secondly they will want to ensure that baby is an acceptable weight and thirdly they will want to investigate the possibility of any health problems both short and long term that could have been caused by any substances taken by your cousin. hope this helps

Luckylady your cuz is very lucky. My boyfriend died 2 weeks ago from mixing Methadone and Xanax.

I am 5 months pregnant and am on methadone but have not used drugs in 2 years and have had the same dose through out this time. The first 2 pragnecys where text book, drug free and i am concerned about what could happen with this one.I have little knowlage about the detox of the baby and long term effects it will have.

I had 2 babies while I was on Methadone. I went to the best doctor in the state and took good care of myself. Now to your question. There is no evidence of long term effects on the physical or mental development to the baby short or long term. The baby will more tha likley be weaned off the methadone with morphine and slowly taper. My Doc let me breast feed but be careful as methadne is passed thru the breast milk. I stopped after the baby was done with the morphine. That took about 4 weeks. It goes by really fast and the hospital staff should make it as comfortable as possible. Ask many questions. Bond with your baby. be grateful. By the way you may have to go up on your dose as you get further along. hope this helps. my kids are 2yr and 4yr. and smart as a whip, funny, and fantastic. no difference at all from other kids.

WHY WOULD ANY OF YOU USE DRUGS WHILE PREGNANT! THAT IS ABUSE, YOU ARE BASICALLY JUST GIVING YOUR CHILDREN DRUGS, INFACT YOU ARE... when a baby is born being addicted to drugs they are born with constant seizures and may have mental disabilities for the rest of their lives!

MY NEPHEW WAS JUST BORN ADDICTED TO METHADONE AND DO NOT LET THE DOCTORS FOOL YOU IT IS THE MOST HEART BREAKING THING I HAVE EVER SEEN!!! I THINK NO ONE SHOULD EVER GET PREGNANT WHILE THEY ARE ALL ANY KIND OF DRUGS IT IS JUST SELFISH. ALTHOUGH METHADONE IS CONTROLLED BY DOCTORS IT IS STILL A DRUG!!! GET IT TOGETHER WOMEN BEFORE YOU ENDANGER AN INNOCENT BABY!

`I WAS ON METHADONE during pregnancy. The doctors said it would be remote that she would have withdrawals. THAT WAS A LIE. i WAS only on 20 mg a day. she has been in the hospital now for almost 40 days. IfI ever get pregnant again I will never ever take methadone again. it was suppose to be the best experience in my life but the saddest and hardest part of my life to see her like that. Please any one who is on methadone .quit taking it right when you find out your pregnant .trust me. please it will kill you to see your baby like that

I am not on drugs nor have I ever been; however, I do have a history of drug abuse in my family. That being said, I don't think you can just quit methadone cold turkey! My nephew was born with traces of methamphetamine in his system. He was taken away from my sister and now I have him. He is 2 months old and I think he has some withdrawls. I could ring my sister's neck! I just do not understand how a woman, knowing, she is pregnant can still do drugs! It baffles my mind and breaks my heart!!!!!

The baby will most likely hit his developmental milestones later than others but will most likely catch up later on. psychologically with the right support outside the home and good parenting there should be no long term effects. My daughter is small for her age but very intelligent and ahead of her classmates in many academic areas. She has no attachment issues or problems relating to others. Although these babies have a harder start its all about the environment they are raised in that will determine the outcome

Methadone has lastling effects on children. My adopted son was born addicted to this horrible stuff and is developmental delayed. You have to get help for the child as soon as possible. THere are agencies who can come out to your home and work with the baby to help reach milsetones.

:-( I go to a methadone clinic, and I myself have not had a baby on methadone, however I do know several women who have had babies while being on methadone.(Extremely healthy babies)

Okay first and foremost, yes I do agree you should avoid getting pregnant while on methadone, but let's face it sometimes accidents can occur(ex.busted condom,etc.). I have learned that if you go off of methadone cold turkey then you are more likely to have a miscarriage(due to fetal distress) or if you even try to ween your way off during pregnancy, you are putting yourself and your unborn child in harms way.

In fact the doctor will tell you to actually up your dose for medically necessary reasons. Yes it is sad to have to see a baby go through slight withdrawals, however methadone withdrawal sure as hell beats heroin withdrawal. Also doctors know exactly what to do for the baby when it is born so that the baby will go through very little uncomfortability.(that being they are a good ob/gyn doctor). Once again if you can avoid it, then please do so. But if you do get pregnant while on methadone don't beat yourself up over it.(You'll stress the baby) Take it one day at a time.

My grandson was just born to my methadone addicted daughter. She is heartbroken and so I am. What I want to know is what I can do to best comfort him and care for him while he goes through the withdrawal symptoms. They allowed him to leave the hospital after 3 days. He did wonderful at the hospital - no crying, shakes, etc. Now, 8 days later, he is screaming, jerking and inconsolable. The only thing I have found that relaxes him is a long warm bath. I am angry that he was allowed to leave the hospital if they had any idea this was ahead for him. He was not discharged with any medication. He does go back to the doctor tomorrow and hopefully he will offer some advice but I have lost my faith in him at this point. I don't want to hear about how awful what has been done to this precious baby is!! I know that and couldn't agree with you more. That is another subject. What I want to do now is anything and everything I can to help both my daughter and my grandbaby. My daughter is suffering too!! The guilt she feels when she sees what she has done to him is just horrible. She will have to live with that and hopefully, this will never happen again. Right now, the baby is the one I am worried about. I am not here to judge anybody. I just want to know if anyone knows what I can do to help him (short of medication). No one will know better than another mother who has had to go through this with her baby. So I am asking for your help and advice. Thank you so much.

scared mom of 2, my sister just had a 2nd baby that was born addicted to methadone. I don't understand how you can minimize the negative health side effects you are dealing your baby. I think it is terrible and extremely selfish that anyone would ever subject their child to such a terrible thing. Be honest with yopurself, you are selfish.

okay you have been misimformed and you should know what you are talking about before you even go there! first of all, most of the women in here have been highly advised by trained genetic councelors and various doctors!I am pregnant and on methadone and valium and my doctors put me on both medications i am under close supervision and i am very healthy as so my baby girl which will be born september14,i have an anziety disorder and that is where the valium comes in which is the same as xanex they are both benzodiazipines,which are also anti sezure medications so there you go since you seem to think ya are so smart get educated on one topic at a time before you go jumping into post, :-| :-| where women are clearly doing what their doctors are telling them to do and in most cases it is the best thing possible for both mother and baby! This is for the lady that posted that all the moms taking drugs doesnt deserve children![/list][/enc]