Hello everyone! I have a 2 month old baby and I adore her. She is very quiet, cries only when she is colicky and almost never wakes up at nights. But I have a big problem with my husband. My husband is afraid that he could do some harm to our baby! He is too afraid to hold her, he panics whenever she cries that he will not be able to calm her! As a result of his fear he never helps me with anything concerning the baby. I have to bath the baby myself, put her to sleep, and look after her when she is ill or cranky. I would really like to know if other women have this kind of problem too and what can I do to help my husband overcome it. It is surely not good for him and our baby to have this kind of relationship, and honestly it is much harder and tiresome for me too. Help!

Hi! You are 100% right when you say that it is not good for your husband and your baby to have such a relationship. Fathers and babies don’t have the same natural bond as mothers and their babies do. Father must learn the parenting skills and to do so he needs to interact with the baby as much as possible. Yet, many fathers feel that babies are too fragile during their first months. Later on when babies became a lot more interactive and playful fathers usually relax more and start enjoying being dads. Try to help your husband feel relaxed around baby as soon as possible. Give him advice on how to hold her firmly but at the same time gently and the rest will happen on its own.

Hello! I am a father of a seven year old boy who has just started school. When he was born he was a very tiny baby and I was too nervous to hold him or bath him thinking I might hurt him or drown him with my big clumsy hands. My wife was very persistent to make me overcome my fears which just made me feel more nervous. So my advice is that you needn’t push your husbands, they will feel the natural bond with the baby, and will feel all the love they need, and then, soon enough but in their own time, they’ll realize that baby is sturdy enough for them to interact with it more actively.