Hi I'm 15 years old and for about a year now I have had problems with indigestion, heartburn, and acid reflux. After almost every meal i have pressure in my chest and I need to burp. Also, heart burn and acid reflux had become worse lately. In addition to this, I have began to experience shortness of breath (about 2 weeks now) and chest pains. At first it was only on the right side but now mostly on the left side.

I have been to the ER because i thought I was going to have a heart attack. I had chest pains, my heart was beating fast, and I felt dizzy. The cardiologist told me it was probably not my heart but my digestive system.

Is there a link between GERD and shortness of breath? And as for the chest pains, it is not only after eating so could it be a respiratory problem? I do have anxiety/panic problems but I don't think that would cause the shortness of breath to occur all the time and chest pains. I almost get scared to go lay down and sleep because the shortness of breath gets worse and I get the fear I will have a heart attack.

I know it's a lot but if anyone has experienced this and knows any info I would greatly appreciate it :[

Hi, like your doctor said your chest problems may be caused by your stomach or intestine, probably because your bloated abdomen could push up the diaphragm and affect both the heart and lung.

Burping after eating speaks for a stomach problem, like chronic infection with a bacteria called Helicobacter pylori. I recommend you ask your personal doctor to arrange you an appointment with a gastroenterologist.

I'm surprised you haven't gotten any responses to this, but I can tell you from experience that the main symptom I have from acid reflux is shortness of breath when I'm running. Just before I was diagnosed I experienced something similar to what you describe -- sudden chest pains (without any gastrointestinal problem), lightheadedness, weak knees. I thought I was having a heart attack and so did the dr. in the ER, who admitted me for tests. My blood pressure, which is always perfect, was very high -- I suspect because of panic over the seeming-heart attack. The doctors concluded it was acid reflux, though I'd never had any digestive problem before. Everything else checked out OK, and aside from shortness of breath while running (I'm a serious runner, so this is a pretty big deal), Prilosec seemed to fix things. Before that I dreaded going to bed because of the shortness of breath. It's scary, as you said. You need to be diagnosed and if acid reflux is your problem, you can go on the meds or try supplements, which some people swear by.  I haven't tried using herbal remedies yet but I intend to.