First of all I am a 19 year old male. I was smoking weed just about everyday for 6 months straight, and has since stopped about 2 weeks ago. I was fine for the first 10 days or so, but since then the only real thing I seem to be noticing is a  shortness of breath, but it's really bugging me over the last few days. It started as chest tightness and shortness of breath, now my chest doesn't seem too tight, just heavy, and I feel like I can't take a deep enough or satisfying breath. I'm sure it's just my body expunging the stuff I was inhaling over those 6 months, but at this point I just want to know when this will subside. I was smoking every day, but it was only for 6 months, compared to people that have smoked weed for years and stopped. When can I, or will I, expect this shortness of breath to go away?

Try doing big-breath exercises.

Imagine breathing into the lower lobes of your lungs, then the mid-section, and finally the top of the lungs (3 part breath)

Experiment with holding the breath for just a second in between inhales and exhales.

If you can roll your tongue, imagine sucking cool air down a straw into your belly.

Exhale strongly using your abs to push the air out of your lungs.

I quit smoking too and am using these techniques, although I still sometimes experience what you've described.

I try to release my negative feelings and work on growing my compassion (for myself 1st, then for others 2nd)

-From a yoga teacher-to-be, hope this helps!

Maybe not quit weed. Is the amount of phlegm comparable to how much weed you smoked or is there more phlegm than weed? Where does the excess come from? If the phelgm does not go away completely from discontinuation of marijuana than you need to consider other factors. A lot of mucus buildup can be attributed to processed foods and animal products. I would suggest daikon or black radish, combined with citrus fruits and dill in a blender and you should be breathing clear very soon.

***post is edited by moderator ***private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I smoked from 9th to now, just quit about 2 weeks ago, the first week after quiting it seems that I have issues breathing, as if the smoke from mary doesn't deposit expectorant in my lung, so now It is really hard to cough up phlim seems a lot easier to breath when I take about 2 pinch hits, and I have full breathing access, at one point in time I did it excessively like 2 cones, but that is harsh to lungs, you need a tiny % intake. So I'm quiting because of laws, I am going to rise with the legalization, because I know fact that cigarettes are worse, I stoped smoking weed and tried cigs cause its legal and they hurt my lungs by a factor of 7x worse to 12x because I cough and struggle, and black tar comes up with weed I hit it, absorb it with no smoke exhalation, and am able to cough up luggies so much easier, and breathe and have fresh air with the great smell of ganja. Kills me that I have to breathe second hand poison, with carcenogines and yet this plant from a seed from god is illegal. I don't understand, so I'm testing a theory to see how nice it is to clear up my lungs, I cough cough and nothing comes up because its dry, or not loose, smoking green works like an expectorant for me as cough medicine does, it breaks up the solid mucus, it activates more mucus production, which is actually protecting the body, if it triggers more mucus it is more likely it will coat any debree, or cashout pull throughs, and you cough up that ash c**p that accidentally pulled through if you know what I mean. Seems to help me more than hurt me, so how is alchohol and cigarettes and random manmade chemical pills ok for us but a plant isn't? Seemed to help me not be sick my entire year of hs and also deal with anxiety, and focus on learning as much as I could, I passed all my grad exams first go because I remembered all the history throughout the year, even rules in certain things (formulas) in math. quite easy when baked to take an exam with a little bit of caffeine

I smoked from 9th to now, just quit about 2 weeks ago, the first week after quiting it seems that I have issues breathing, as if the smoke from mary doesn't deposit expectorant in my lung, so now It is really hard to cough up phlim seems a lot easier to breath when I take about 2 pinch hits, and I have full breathing access, at one point in time I did it excessively like 2 cones, but that is harsh to lungs, you need a tiny % intake. So I'm quiting because of  laws, I am going to rise with the legalization, because I know fact that cigarettes are worse, I stoped smoking weed and tried cigs cause its legal and they hurt my lungs by a factor of 7x worse to 12x because I cough and struggle, and black tar comes up with weed I hit it, absorb it with no smoke exhalation, and am able to cough up luggies so much easier, and breathe and have fresh air with the great smell of ganja. Kills me that I have to breathe second hand poison, with carcenogines and yet this plant from a seed from god is illegal. I don't understand, so I'm testing a theory to see how nice it is to clear up my lungs, I cough cough and nothing comes up because its dry, or not loose, smoking green works like an expectorant for me as cough medicine does, it breaks up the solid mucus, it activates more mucus production, which is actually protecting the body, if it triggers more mucus it is more likely it will coat any debree, or cashout pull throughs, and you cough up that ash c**p that accidentally pulled through if you know what I mean. Seems to help me more than hurt me, so how is alchohol and cigarettes and random manmade chemical pills  ok for us but a plant isn't? Seemed to help me not be sick my entire year of hs and also deal with anxiety, and focus on learning as much as I could, I passed all my grad exams first go because I remembered all the history throughout the year, even rules in certain things (formulas) in math. quite easy when baked to take an exam with a little bit of caffeine the only thing i have ever done is mary for 5 years, and then cigs recently for about a month 1 cig max a day poisonous carcenogin...

Pot has been referred to as a brochialdialotor. Basically it opens up your lungs for longer, allowing more oxygen into your lungs. In the 70s they found that pot was comparable to using an asthma inhaler. Asthma inhalers are also bronchialdialator. Now that you've stopped, your body thinks it's not getting enough oxygen. This creates your shortness of breathe. I have the exact same thing. With some regular exercise, it should go away wishing the year.

shortness of breath is copd and smoking that weed opens up the corpuscles in your lungs quitting makes them close back up and if you smoke cigs they will even close more !!

Hey mate I have the same problem , was smoking weed for about 2-3 years and am short of breath, like I can't take a deep breath to be relaxed especially when exercising, have quit for abit 3-4 weeks now and have had the problem since ,I am not coughing up much flem at all and I don't have a chest cold ? I have went to the doctor and she doesn't know what's wrong any ideas

I've smoked about 2-3x a week for a year and a half. I stopped 2 months ago and I got hit with the same symptoms. I went to the ER and they said it was hyperventilation syndrome. I've never had anxiety or anything of that sort so I think it's my body trying to rid of the toxins.

I have a PhD in human biology. There is literally, not a single piece of literature on this matter besides from the public, online, in forums. I have smoked pot for approximately a decade, while having asthma and using inhalers daily. I was absolutely addicted with respect to any correct definition of addiction in all of literature. However, I eventually began to transition the deliverance method from smoking to vaporizing, followed by ingesting cannabutter, eventually only consuming weed THC oil pills, and finally to decarboxylated THC pills (Canacaps). I am very thankful for the new advances in marijuana consumer based commercial industry, and very thankful to God for allowing me to use said substance alwhile improve my respiratory function and cease damage to my respiratory lung tissue. After all of this I began to develop further control on my use because the "Canacaps" usually took 1 hour to kick into psychological effect and I developed patience for the reward due to this. After the 15th year of using THC, and developing some level of increasing control on my usage, I decided to try quitting, and am currently experimenting with sobriety again due to mood, emotional and cognitive stability . I tried this several times and with each try after the first, I began to notice I had worsening respiratory symptoms upon cessation. In particular I had bronchoconstriction which led to in inability to expire rapidly, and therefore cough effectively so phlegm will not come up, and I am unable to speak without feeling short of breath. Therefore I decided to try a very low potency and dosage of THC "Canacaps". This worked wondered, as I instantly, after one hour, noticed a major improvement in breathing, being able to take fuller breaths with majorly less effort, and phlegm instantly started to be excreted and I was no longer afraid to speak to people out of fear of running out of breath and getting caught gasping for breath before the other party. So my point is that your experience is absolutely validated and truthful. I would like to commend you for posting this question as otherwise I would never have taken the chance to share my knowledge with my fellow humans. Finally, I have decided to resume this minimal use, literally as medication for this asthma, and slowly taper off, in the hopes that they lungs will regain their normal function while using this crutch, and I will cease to use this mind altering subtance for reasons aforementioned. On a separate note, I experiences racism today and would like to help spread awareness. I am a Sikh and wear a turban, I am not a terrorist, I am not a Muslim (Nothing wrong with Muslim; some is seriously wrong with ISIS and Moguls), I believe we are all equal (race, sexual orientation, creed, status, religion, faith, education) and all God's children. Love all.

I'm 37 yo male. Had a problem with weed addiction my whole life. Every time i stop I can't breathe properly. Not well enough to sleep or work. I'm a zombie when i smoke, i spend all my money on it and achieve nothing. When i stop, i cant breathe. Exactly what's described here. I'm about to start panicking, cant sleep and im so tired of weed life. Doctors prescribe me meds after meds, tests after tests. Nothing works but weed. Just finding this thread and seeing that it happens to other people has given me hope. There's no God tho. Best rip that bandaid off asap.

Have to add in. Ran out of money, dirt poor, had been smoking all day every day for over 5 years and had to quit cold turkey. Hadn't had allergy or asthma problems since I was 12, I'm now 23, and about three weeks after quitting I ended up in the hospital getting diagnosed with asthma and set up with an inhaler. The inhaler is 25$ a month though, I was spending about 200$ on weed... my concerns are I puff this thing as much as I'm allowed and I still feel like I can't breathe. Always coughing always runny nose cold symptoms etc. And I've seen so many people online saying the same, asthma problems when they quit. And don't even get me started on the nightmares. I can't go back on it, I refuse for personal reasons besides the financial, but... I saw someone suggesting exercise. I guess it's all I got. Might help with the sleeping too, a nice long walk before bed. If I can remember to check back in after a month or so I'll let you know if I've suffocated or healed. I've heard it's something to do too with regrowing the burnt out cilia in your lungs? I like telling myself it's just that. Makes it feel more temporary. And reminds me why going back to smoking would be counter intuitive. If I could only enjoy in moderation... Alas... Mary is a love that consumes me entirely and I know if I pick her up I'll never put her down again. I'd rather asthma attacks and nightmares.

Look up on air hunger i have the exact same problem as you. I smoked for roughly 100 grams in the past month and have stopped for only a week. I had this problem last year but now its back. I took a lot of medication like symbicort and ventolin inhaler but i feel like this is nothing to do with my lungs because the doctors said i was getting enough oxygen and there was no phlegm in my lungs. I read online that this is related to anxiety. One method that works for me is to stop trying to constantly take deep breaths because then you'd be hyperventilating and feel dizzy. Just try to imagine this 'air hunger' thing is all in your mind. sometimes its hard to not think about it. If youre taking big breaths every 8-10 breaths then you're probably hyperventilating so what i do is minimize my big breaths, maybe take a big breath every 20-30 breaths. hope this helps, i'm still currently struggling with this problem.

Hey just wondering if you got any relief ? I’m going through the same thing

May God Bless you and ill meet you in Heaven