I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 2012. and I was initially treated with betaferon which did get me in remission up until few months ago. Now my neurologist has me on Gilenya and I guess it seems to be working even though it might be too early to tell yet. another problem I’m having that’s becoming harder and harder to manage is depression and I don’t know if it’s because of the disease, medications or what, but I came to the really low point where I need to do something, even if it means taking antidepressants. What worries me though is, do antidepressants interfere with Gilenya?

your depression might be caused by Gilenya - it's a rare but possible side effect. Not to mention that multiple sclerosis itself is a condition that gets progressively worse, so that fact definitely might be contributing. However, as long as Gilenya benefits are bigger than it's side effects, it's better to look for another way to deal with depression symptoms.

Antidepressants don't have any interactions with Gilenya, but you also might want to consider counseling - in some cases it's much more effective than antidepressants alone.

Hello, Guest & mae: My MS-tymeline is similar to Guest's. Differences being I've already been battling Depression for a few decades & I've been(& am staying on for the tyme-being) on COPAXONE for MS.

Recently, my neurologist & I(at his behest/suggestion/recommendation) have been exploring other options avail.to me(Aubagio, Gilenya, Lemtrada, Ocrevus and Tysabri); to date, GILENYA appears to be the lesser of the 7 Evils.

'Not sure what to tell you with regard to DEPRESSION.

Certainly in my case, it's very much a Chicken/Chick/Egg scenario: Is it the MS or the medication exacerbating my Depression or vice-versa[is merely my stressing over it all kicking my (Depression with a side of)Anxiety into a higher gear which then negatively affects the MS...]? {You get the picture, I'm sure.}

'Til the last little while{I've been derailed from staying on top of my MS-Sitch by much other "fæcal matter transpiring", lol}, I was seeing a Counsellor *&* Psychiatrist *and* on a "Bits-n-Bites"("cocktail") regimen of antidepressants(all of which has its very own Chicken/Chick/Egg scenario) and I would really like to believe it was all actually helping my daily dealings with Depression.

Presently, I am in my most recent throes of my Fake-It-'Til-I-Make-It "technique" of trying to surface from the depths of The Dark Quagmire(whilst also dealing with the medical running-around that accompanies any major changes with most medications as well as the aforementioned "fæcal matter transpiring").

If not actual HELP, I hope I've succeeded in lending you(everyone/anyone) some SUPPORT. If anyone has anything to add to my 2-cents'-worth, please do. I will return here(provided I can find my way back, lol) should I come across anything *actually* helpful/useful.

Thank you for the Forum. ~tsi[a.k.a. " GoingFission"]