I have been experiencing weird pains throughout my body all over. They only last for several seconds, but they can be pretty painful sometimes and then it can change places in my body and go to another area within seconds. I have been feeling these types of pain for a while now, but I can’t get in to see a neurologist for another 2 months. I am starting to become very concerned with the symptoms that I have. Could someone let me know how long a person could have symptoms of multiple sclerosis before they are actually diagnosed?

My symptoms were blurry vision, loss of control of my legs and hands, muscle spasms, numbness in face, headaches etc. about a year ago I had abnormal mri and started doctoring to find out what was going on. Doctors at the clinic think its multiple sclerosis but haven't had that diagnosis as of yet, although I am sure that I have multiple sclerosis. I am waiting still, some days are better than others but basically keep living normal. Lately I have been having more symptoms which are very frustrating. I am considering having another mri to see if it's active multiple sclerosis.

In my case, I suspect I had MS when I was 30. I started having problems standing with my two feet placed very close together but simply thought it was because I had moved to Newport, RI in the winter and I wasn't used to extremely cold weather. Over the years that followed, I had tingling in my fingers and minor balancing problems but these issues always seemed to go away and I simply didn't follow up on them afterwards.

A couple of years prior to my diagnosis, I had visit to my doctor for a very bad pain in my neck and had an MRI done. The radiologist report came back with a dignosis of arthritis in my neck and they also advised they saw lesions and suspected MS. I felt fine, other than the stiff painful neck, revisited my doctor and we didn't follow up on anything for MS.

It wasn't until I was 59 years old when everything went haywire and I had problems walking, forgot where I put things (big, important things) and relized I had problems managing details... A visit to a new doctor who sent me to a neurologist and a spinal tap (ouch) later revealed I had MS and specifically relapsing-remmitting.

In my case it looks like I ignored the signs for nearly three decades and as I have learned in the past two years, it seems no two people are alike in regard to their MS, their symptoms and to add to this confusing mix are the three different types of MS.
When I finally saw the scan of my brain from my most recent MRI in my interists office on a computer screen, he said "Man, your brain is full of holes." and indeed when I looked at it for the first time, it resembeled Swiss Cheese. I think two years ago, the MS just went balistic and the leasions exploded and previously I only had a few minor lesions that didn't impact my life enough to make me suspect something was wrong. I always simply discount my early problems and shake it off by attributing my "quirks" to something outside of my body like 30 degree below weather, that a Texan had no business being in.