Please help me! I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis last week and with such a new diagnosis, I am feeling mainly scared but also very determined to stay active for as long as possible and slow down the disease as much as I can and for as long as possible. My doctor suggested treatment with methotrexate, and I was hoping to hear from people who use it? What are your opinions of methotrexate?

Hello and I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Being frightened and overwhelmed at this stage is totally normal though, but you sound like a strong person who is proactive about treatment options, which is great, because you will need to be strong to cope with MS! I have been using methotrexate for ten years now and while the MS is still very much a part of my life, I do think it has helped an awful lot. There are various medications around though, and I would not be able to tell you if they are better or worse than methotrexate.

I have had MS for app. 20 years.  I also have rhumatoid arthritis for which i have weekly shots of Methotrexate.  I've noticed that whenever I've had to hold the shots because of an infection - vaginal or sinus or whatever - my MS has reared it's ugly head and I end up having a nasty attack.  When i  have the shots every week i rarely have an attack and if I do have one it's not as bad.  i definately know Methotrexate is helping slow my MS down.